🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Portfolio critique, please.

Started by
6 comments, last by bronxbomber92 13 years, 10 months ago
Hi all,

Hope this is the right forum for these; I didn't see any similar threads, but there's no portfolio critiquing forum, either ;)

http://luchenlabs.com/projects/

I'm gearing up to start applying for internships in earnest, and I'll welcome any and all suggestions. Alternatively, post your own! I learn well by example.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Very wide range of projects that show a good range of skills.
Just one point I would make. Often, potential employers won't take the time to download and play all of your projects. It might be a good idea to provide videos to playthroughs. This will increase the chance that the employer will take a look at everything.

If there is one particular project you want them to play, I would note it on your cover letter or even include a CD with the installer/game on it.
Game Designer at Playground Games
I don't like your style of writing. I'm not a native speaker so maybe it's just me, but it just feels a bit too informal. What does have a link to a funny cartoon of Luigi on skis to do on a professional portfolio?
Wunderwerk Engine is an OpenGL-based, shader-driven, cross-platform game engine. It is targeted at aspiring game designers who have been kept from realizing their ideas due to lacking programming skills.

blog.wunderwerk-engine.com
Hi GesterX, Vexator,

Quote: Original post by GesterX
Very wide range of projects that show a good range of skills.

Well, thanks :)
Quote:
Just one point I would make. Often, potential employers won't take the time to download and play all of your projects. It might be a good idea to provide videos to playthroughs. This will increase the chance that the employer will take a look at everything.

Ah, yes. I've heard this and am working on it. Capturing the video (at an acceptable quality) is my weak link. I'm playing with some screencasting programs (Fraps, CamStudio etc.) but I haven't found anything that really does the job. Can you recommend anything?

Quote: Original post by Vexator
I don't like your style of writing. I'm not a native speaker so maybe it's just me, but it just feels a bit too informal. What does have a link to a funny cartoon of Luigi on skis to do on a professional portfolio?

Nothing, really--just me making fun of myself. It's not just you; the style is deliberately informal. I did wonder whether it came off as unprofessional, so thanks for the confirmation. I'll tone it down a bit.
I recently captured some video of an iPhone game I have in the app store. I used Camtasia for MAC. They have a PC product out as well, but I havn't tried it yet. I assume it's as good as the mac version...Both come as 30 free trial without restriction...

http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp

I was very impressed with their implementation. They have really nice tools to capture the video and have a pretty full featured video editing/compositing system with tons of FX and fades and such. Camtasia + PhoneFinger(to change the look of the mouse cursor) was a complete end-to-end solution for me. It even lets you upload your video straight to YouTube...
Sorry this is off topic, but I noticed you're going to RIT! I'm moving in as a freshmen on Wednesday, I'm majoring in CS, and thinking about minoring in math and German, haha :).
Phew, $300 is a bit steep for Camtasia itself, but it'll suffice for now.

Jedd, welcome to RIT :) I hope you'll enjoy it here as much as I have. Make sure to visit GDC on Friday and say hi.

Any other comments on my portfolio? Be ruthless!
I will definitely stop by! I look forward to meeting :-). And thank you for the warm welcome!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement