🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Jobs in Creative Writing

Started by
2 comments, last by ProfKrauf 13 years, 10 months ago
I was wondering if I could get some information on jobs in writing in the gaming industry. I was sort of surprised to see only a couple or I think one new thread since I last checked on this site. I was basically wondering how a writer like me or anyone else could get a job as a writer in the gaming industry. I mean writer as in writing dialogue, cutscenes, scripts, side quest material, etc. Not writing as in writing codes as a lot of people assume I'm talking about when I mention it to a college instructor.

I have one novel that I've finished that I'm still trying to get published and I'm currently working on my second. I believe I heard that a lot of companies only hire those who are an established author. Can I get any confirmation on this?
Advertisement
From what I've seen, in terms of job postings, they mostly look for experienced writers/scriptwriters: http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx/viewjobrss.asp?cjid=22869&accountno=358

I'd say it's probably easier moving from designer over to writer from within a company, just because at that point you've designed the worlds and objectives of the game itself, but I could be wrong. If anyone has more information on this, I'd be interested as well.
Alabama Man!!!
Quote: Original post by ProfKraufI was basically wondering how a writer like me or anyone else could get a job as a writer in the gaming industry. I mean writer as in writing dialogue, cutscenes, scripts, side quest material, etc.

Questions about getting jobs belong in Breaking In. So I moved this there. Scroll up and find the small blue link "View Forum FAQ." Read the Writing FAQ.
Quote: I believe I heard that a lot of companies only hire those who are an established author. Can I get any confirmation on this?

I wouldn't say that's 100% the case, no. You can also work it from within, but you'd have to break into the industry through another route to learn the workings of the industry. QA, for instance. View that FAQ above, Prof.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I know this is late, but I appreciate the feedback.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement