🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

University

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 10 months ago
Hey there, first of all i apologize if this is the incorrect place to post this type of post here. Basically I missed out on university even though i had higher than my required grades. However I have now had a change of mind going from sport science to game design/developing. My question to you is

is this wise as I have very little knowledge of the subject. I have played a vast majority of on line and console games my whole life from golden axe to WoW etc I have a passion for games and find the aspects such as character development and animation truly intriguing. I obviously know this in no way makes me qualified to do so, but it is one part of my life that i truly enjoy and think I would be good at. i spend a large proportion of my time drawing and digitally/manually coloring anime drawings. So I guess im asking is it wise to go with such little background knowledge?

I thank you for reading and hope it doesn't sound to ridiculous, dont worry about being critical hehe, cheers regards danny.
Advertisement
At the moment, it just sounds like you want to be in the industry rather then you want to do a specific role such as programming, art, design, audio, etc. You need to look at what roles interest you and why before deciding on what course to do.

Google for SkillSet and Sloperama for some reading material.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Quote: Original post by fireshard
Hey there, first of all i apologize if this is the incorrect place to post this...
I missed out on university... However I have now had a change of mind going from sport science to game design/developing. My question to you is
is this wise ... So I guess im asking is it wise to go with such little background knowledge?

Danny, your question is unclear. I've moved this to Breaking In. Scroll up and look for the small blue "View Forum FAQ" link above. Click it and read. Many of your questions might be answered there (or maybe not -- since I can't tell what your question is).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement