🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

getting into a video game design career?

Started by
0 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 10 months ago
first of all I'm just going to say, i am 15 years old. I am planning to get into a video game design career. Its always been a passion of mine. I can code in VB and am just about to start C++ then java in September. I have a few questions about it though.

1) What courses/grades will i need? (I'm going into grade 10)

2) What are some good universities for this in Canada? (I'm currently thinking of going to British Columbia Institute of Technology.)

3) If my overall goal is to design a MMORPG and create my own company, what path would be best for me? another option i was considering was working for Blizzard Entertainment.

4) what would be the best language to master?

5) could you recommend a few books i should pick up?

Thanks in advance

Jesse
Advertisement
Jesse,
1. If you want to go into "game design," read FAQ 3 -- it's listed in this forum's FAQs (see "View Forum FAQ," above). If you want to study programming, though, there's an FAQ for that too.
2. View Forum FAQ.
3.a. You should get a Business degree if you want to create your own company.
3.b. Before you go to Blizzard, you need to get a degree and make a portfolio.
4. There is no "best" language, because different languages are used for different types of games. See the FAQ for the For Beginners forum. And see the "Start Here" page on this website.
5. Yes. View Forum FAQ.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement