🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Internships

Started by
16 comments, last by masterchange 13 years, 9 months ago
Hi Masterchange,

I know a lot of companies in the UK will take you on for a year whilst you are still at Uni (if you do a Placement Year - usually done the year before you do your final year). You should easily be able to get a work permit to come over here for a year - especially when Turkey join the EU (if they haven't already!)

I am currently on an Internship at a non-Games company in the UK and we have a number of international students on baord.

Game Companies that I know for sure do a placement period of some sort are:
Jagex (Runescape)
Lionhead (Fable)
Traveller's Tales (Lego Games)

Most games companies may be interested in talking to you about this so the best thing to do is to email or phone them!
Game Designer at Playground Games
Advertisement
@GesterX
I'm looking for summer internship especially, and Turkey isn't in EU yet.
Thanks for your attention
Quote: Original post by masterchange
@GesterX
I'm looking for summer internship especially, and Turkey isn't in EU yet.
Thanks for your attention

Hmmm that may be a bit different then.
I'm sure it's not impossible but will prove very difficult if you just want a 2/3 month summer placement. It is also likely that you would not be paid for a Summer Placement.

Your best bet is to email or write to game studios and tell them what your looking to do and ask them if they have any opportunities. You may also want to try some mainland Europe companies such as Ubisoft in France.

An easier option for you (which shows just as much enthusiasm) may be to take a look at the "Help Wanted" section of the forums. See if you can get on board some indie projects. If your goal is to get some experience to list on your CV after graduating then this is also a suitable way to go. You may also get to perform a larger variety of tasks with a smaller team depending on your skillset.
Game Designer at Playground Games
@GesterX
can you give names for some of computer science related companies in UK that offers internship for international students?
@GesterX
can you give names for some of computer science related companies in UK that offers internship for international students?

I don't think anyone here can give you a definitive list. You have to do the legwork yourself.

http://gamedevmap.com/

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Quote: Original post by yaustar
@GesterX

I don't think anyone here can give you a definitive list. You have to do the legwork yourself.

http://gamedevmap.com/

i asked for ONLY computer science related companies not game related at my last post,
i asked for ONLY computer science related companies not game related at my last post,

Yes, well. You may have noticed that this website is game related. We can only help you as regards the game industry -- not other industries outside games.
The advice Mr. Yau gave you was correct nonetheless: there is no list of tech companies who hire international student interns.
If there was such a list, your career counselor at your school could give it to you. You wouldn't need to ask for it on a site devoted to games.
You have to do your own research.
If this thread is not going to be relevant and helpful to our site's constituency, it will be closed.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper
i know this forum is game related but GesterX wrote that "I am currently on an Internship at a non-Games company in the UK", so my post began with @GesterX, and i just wanted GesterX to give name,

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement