🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Portfolio website for college applications

Started by
3 comments, last by jtagge75 13 years, 11 months ago
I've been doing programming since I was in middle school and I'm going to be a senior this upcoming year of high school. I've built up a personal website over the years of some projects that I've done as well as some other things.

The thing is though, I'm not exactly sure how to put my personal website into college admissions. I'm not quite sure how to get the admission officers to notice and put much weight on it, because I would really like to emphasize that. Basically to put it, it is definitely going to be the strongest of my ECs because programming has been my primary focus and the activity that I've put the most time into.

Now about emphasizing it. Do I add it into the Common Application as an extracurricular activity? Or should I put it on an "extras" page? Or should I really emphasize it in my essay and do the above listed as well?
Advertisement
I guess it would be kind of like drawing a potential employer's attention to your portfolio on your site. It's important, but may not be the best thing to put on the highest priority. Mention of your site may best be placed by a listing of any experience or extracurricular activities. An "extra" page may contain the lowest priority information. Picture where "More of my work may be viewed at..." can be placed.
you can't lol. That's a problem I had aswell. There's nothing you can really do to show them you can program...except maybe some tests they give you during an interview. Or get certificates, get a degree, networking w/ people, etc.

Programmers have it harder than artists. ;o
They hated on Jeezus, so you think I give a f***?!
Quote: Original post by Ntvu
I've built up a personal website over the years of some projects that I've done as well as some other things.

The thing is though, I'm not exactly sure how to put my personal website into college admissions.

You just say you have one, and give them the URL. The application surely includes a space for you to tell them stuff like this (like a large empty text box or a line item that says to write something).

BTW, this is a "Breaking In" question -- moving.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Are you really expected to have programming portfolios so you can learn about programming in college nowadays? I guess I'm glad I went to that crappy state school that just checked grades and ACT test scores. One of the best programmers I know didn't code a line until his first intro class.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement