🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

MS vs Building Portfolio vs Non-Industry Job (Programming)

Started by
2 comments, last by way2lazy2care 13 years, 10 months ago
Hey guys, my first post!

There's a lot of talk in this forum about which Master degrees to pursue and from where, etc. However, I think I've already got my eye on a few programs I'm interested in, but I would like some advice on my other options.

I just graduated with a BS in Computer Science this spring and tried my hand in applying for intern/entry level programming positions in the industry. As you may have guessed, this didn't work out to well and was not offered any positions. I believe this is due to one or both of the following: lack of (real world) experience; and lack of a portfolio. I feel pretty comfortable as an intermediate C++ programmer, but aside from course work in obtaining my bachelors degree, I haven't worked on any big programming projects of my own..game related or otherwise.

I feel that I have three decent options to obtain more experience and or build a respectable portfolio: 1) Enter into a MS program (likely at a traditional school, but perhaps with a 'games programming' focus). Hopefully getting a chance to both work on my portfolio and get some experience in team-based programming -or- 2) work on a self-study project(s) with the primary goal of building up my portfolio -or- 3) attempt to obtain a non-games industry entry level C++ position. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I kind of see these options breaking down like this:

Building Portfolio: 2 > 1 > 3
Getting Real World Programming Experience: 3 > 1=2

I suppose what I'm asking is: what do games industry employers value the most of the above options? And which do you recommend given my situation?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Luge from space wrote:
>I believe this is due to one or both of the following: lack of (real world) experience; and lack of a portfolio.

Not one, and not just both. Both of those reasons, plus other reasons as well. I can't tell you what those other reasons are, because I am not psychic or omniscient.

>I haven't worked on any big programming projects of my own..game related or otherwise.

You don't need to. You need to work on small ones. Of your own or otherwise, but preferably game related. Big projects take too long and probably won't get completed.

>I feel that I have three decent options to obtain more experience and or build a respectable portfolio

You feel wrong. There are other options as well, and the three you identified are not sure cures for your problem.

>1) Enter into a MS program

You don't need a Masters degree. If you want to go that route, fine. But it isn't a cure for your problem.

>2) work on a self-study project(s)

No. You need to program game stuff. Lots of it.

>3) attempt to obtain a non-games industry entry level C++ position.

A non-game job would accomplish two good results: (a) give you real world work experience, and (b) pay you money, which you badly need.
With a non-game job, you can program your own game stuff in your free time. Okay, so that's three.

>what do games industry employers value the most of the above options?

That is a bad question. You have YOUR life to live. Don't live it to satisfy hypothetical others. Live it to suit yourSELF. If one or two of your three options appeals to you, go for it.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by spaceluge
....tried my hand in applying for intern/entry level programming positions .... and was not offered any positions. I believe this is due to one or both of the following: lack of (real world) experience; and lack of a portfolio.

Entry level position don't require experience, which is why they are entry level. However the lack of a portfolio certainly would damage your chances. Like most creative industries people enter games because they want to make games. If you want to be a games programmer you should be programming games in your spare time. An employer is unlikely to want someone who can't demonstrate that desire via a portfolio.

There are a whole host of other things that might be wrong too. Poor resume/cover letter, wrong location, the companies you applied for don't have any entry level positions at this time etc.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Quote: Original post by Tom SloperI can't tell you what those other reasons are, because I am not psychic or omniscient.

LIAR

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement