🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

what do i need to know to get into a game dev ompany

Started by
5 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 10 months ago
Hey guys,I've always been fascinated by games and i too wanna contribute to this world :)...But i really have no idea ..on how to get to a game dev job and all.i am doing my undergrad in computer science engineering(learning dx9 side by side n my own)..and also i heard game programmers were awesome programmers...is that a requirement?because i am very very mediocre..

and i need to know all the good colleges for MS in game design

Advertisement
Well, you say you're mediocre, so how are you going to become an awesome programmer?

Practice.

Create programs, write code and you'll get better and better over time. Those 'awesome' game programmers you're talking about weren't awesome either when they were starting out. Practice is the key to most things in this world.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein
1) Solidify your computer science fundamentals.
2) Learn and practice good engineering principles.
3) Don't think that game development is like a lot of other development. While there will be requirements and design, one of the key things in an industry like games is that you will want to continually analyze requirements and ensure they make sense, not simply implement to requirements and the design.

#3 is what makes an awesome programmer, but #1 and #2 is what the awesome programmer stands on.

Get off my lawn!

There's also an entire forum here on this site devoted to the topic.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

For starters, you can work a bit on your grammar and punctuation. :) By that I mean no offense, simply that you'll gain a lot more respect around here if you write properly in your posts, which may be in your favor when you go out looking for a job one day.

Now, it's really great that you've decided to learn DirectX on the side. Not only will you pick up a lot more knowledge in less time, but having side projects like that shows that you've got the passion and determination to learn and develop your skills.

While you're at it, do make some games as well! Plan them out, write them and finish them. Having a portfolio of fun, well-polished games will demonstrate to potential employers that you have the motivation to work on a project from start to finish. Set reasonable goals -- don't aim to high, or you won't finish the game. Likewise, don't aim too low lest you lose interest.

You say you're a mediocre programmer. That's fine. Everyone has to start somewhere, and we've all been where you are right now. The fact that you are mediocre now, however, doesn't mean that you can't be absolutely outstanding with time and practice. Follow the advice you got from the other posters; write all kinds of programs for fun, learning as you go.
Well, I'm a mediocre programmer too and like you I also had a self learning OpenGL side by side. But over the course what I have realized is that with good programming practices, a good game programmer should also have a good knowledge of physics and maths as well and have the skill to apply them in program. I gave up on OpenGL (which I probably shouldn't have) and is starting on XNA instead.
Quote: Original post by Buckeye
There's also an entire forum here on this site devoted to the topic.

Yup. View Forum FAQ, above.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement