🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Master's Program to pursue

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 11 months ago
Hello all. I'm a recent graduate of a private university in Philly, with a double major in math and comp sci. I'm currently taking a year off to pursue iPhone development, just to have serious development under my belt, and to tackle a full project on my own. However, that is not the topic of this thread. I'm currently working through the process of looking at grad schools for the Fall '11. I did research as an undergrad in Wireless Sensor Networks, and loved the research side of academia, and was persuaded by my advisors to go for my Master's.

My question is, given a career goal of programming in the game industry, what would be the best Master's program to pursue? My undergrad focused heavily on theory, and I loved it. Given my mathematics background the abstract concepts have always interested me just as much as application, and I think that contributes heavily to my strengths as a programmer. However, I don't have a ton of experience with working on large software projects. Should I continue down the road of theory and get work toward's a Computer Science degree, or take what I have and work towards a Software Engineering degree? I have a decent background in graphics (the focus of my iPhone development), with some experience in AI and Networking, but I think I'd like to pursue a Tool Programmer or Engine development position. With so many schools, and so many options, I'm having a hard time focusing my search to best suit my future game development endeavors.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
Wow, this question just got asked. My fault, disregard :)
Quote: Original post by agreendev
Wow, this question just got asked. My fault, disregard :)

Okay. Closed.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement