🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Finished with 2-week class, now what?

Started by
1 comment, last by SiCrane 13 years, 11 months ago
Hi all,

I just got out of a 2 week class on game programming. One week was python, the second was C++. Throughout the two weeks I had a lot of fun and I am determined to continue on game programming.

C++, I think, would be the best alternative. In class we created 3D-breakout and started on a single-player RPG/FPS, whatever we preferred the most. This was using the Dark GDK engine, and even our teacher complained that it wasn't a good choise for an engine.

Anyway, I have some basics down in C++ now and I wonder what I should do now? One alternative would be to stick with my single-player RPG in Dark GDK, but the problem there is that it is a little out-dated and not very effective for many tasks. My teacher said that a good idea would be to start working on my own engine, but after having a look at lesson 1 at http://nehe.gamedev.net I think I am not quite ready, I could always try, but I don't think I would learn that much as after reading through the first lesson I already didn't know what the hell was going on.

An alternative is to pick up a book on programming a game engine, but what do you guys think, am I ready to start on my own game engine?

If so, can you recommend any books?
Any other tips?

Please help me out if you can and thanks in advance, Anton
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by scarfaze
An alternative is to pick up a book on programming a game engine, but what do you guys think, am I ready to start on my own game engine?

Don't hate me, but you're not ready. Your two week class is a mere drop compared to the amount of programming experience you're going to need to undertake a game engine project. The NeHe tutorials you looked at are a a great start for getting you to where you need to be, though. If you can work through all of the NeHe stuff, and understand what's going on, then you'll be ready for a game engine.
Cross post. Closed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement