🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Design school or second degree?

Started by
4 comments, last by Spandy87 13 years, 11 months ago
So here is my situation. I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in philosophy. It doesn't directly apply to game design (although its a malleable discipline, I'm sure I could make it apply). So far I have two options in front of me to get me into game design.

Option One: 2 year diploma at an institute of technology (BCIT), and then 2 year game design program at that same university for a degree. So another 4 years in total.

Option Two: 1 year intensive training at a specific film school that has a game design program. This results in a diploma and an extensive portfolio out the gate.

Option one is less expensive, since it is drawn out over a longer period of time, and there is co-op available so I could pay my way. It is also done in chunks of four months, similar to my first degree.

Option two is a full year intensive training program that goes all twelve months. The downside is that it costs 32 THOUSAND dollars. I could find a way to manage it since it doesn't start until next October and that would allow me some time to make that money, but I don't even have a job at all right now.

Which direction should I go for the best future career results?

My goal is to be part of the design process for some of the bigger developing companies.
Advertisement
Please read section 3 of the Forum FAQ. The link is just above your post.
Quote: Original post by frob
Please read section 3 of the Forum FAQ. The link is just above your post.

Seconded.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I appreciate the responses, thanks!

I did read the FAQ so I'm aware of what the job is. I'm not actually "looking for a job as a game designer", since it seems to be something that involves more comprehensive knowledge than specific training. My question is, which sort of program would suit me best to A) get me an entry level spot in a higher end company, and B) best equip me with the tools to potentially advance. The one option would be going the development/programming route, the other would be a more broad training in the design process, and all the different things that go into making a game etc.

I realize my first question was using the term "game design" a bit too loosely.
Quote: Original post by Spandy87
I did read the FAQ so I'm aware of what the job is. I'm not actually "looking for a job as a game designer"

But our recommendation was that you read:

3. Education & Preparation

Things You Can Do At Home -- Sloperama FAQ #12
"What Degree Should I Get?" -- Sloperama FAQ #34
"Game Development Schools" by Joseph Fernald -- Game Dev Schools
"On Game Schools" by Josh Petrie -- On Game Schools
"Regular College? Or Game College?" -- Sloperama FAQ #44
The Whole Game School Thing, Part I -- The Games Game, June 2009
The Whole Game School Thing, Part II -- The Games Game, July 2009
Featured Schools on GameCareerGuide.com
Resources and Schools on IGDA.org
How To Choose A College -- Sloperama FAQ #25
Preparing For a Career in Game Design -- Sloperama FAQ #3
Independent Game Projects -- Sloperama FAQ #16
The Online Education Option -- The Games Game, Sept. 2007

Your response does not indicate that you read that.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thank you so much, sorry I was totally looking at the wrong FAQ by mistake.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement