🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Needing Information and Advice

Started by
22 comments, last by jthompson166 13 years, 11 months ago
To be a producer, you really really really need video game experience. QA experience is excellent for that. It's really really hard to break in as a producer with nothing but external management experience. I know a lot of producers who started in QA. I don't know any who started as managers in some other industry. Did you read the producing FAQ yet?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper
To be a producer, you really really really need video game experience. QA experience is excellent for that. It's really really hard to break in as a producer with nothing but external management experience. I know a lot of producers who started in QA. I don't know any who started as managers in some other industry. Did you read the producing FAQ yet?

Tom, it must be different where you work. In our studio, and the studio I was at before, a producer really needs management experience, scheduling experience, and people skills.

In my opinion, a good producer understands how to work with the other area leads (technical, art, QA, audio, design) to establish whether the quality bar is being met. The area lead is responsible for quality & scope. It's the producers job to make sure the project gets done on time and on budget.

jthomson166, you'll find opinions differ. Why not contact some local studios and see what they have to say?
Quote: Original post by Sphet
In our studio, and the studio I was at before, a producer really needs management experience, scheduling experience, and people skills.

You can get that and display that in QA. Most producers do.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Original post by Sphet
Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper
jthomson166, you'll find opinions differ. Why not contact some local studios and see what they have to say?

I'm definitely seeing that. And I think that's excellent advice, especially since I'll probably be trying to break out in my current area first.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement