Advertisement

QUERY #1: FPS Jumping?

Started by August 15, 2001 04:45 PM
6 comments, last by SoLongMrMexTaco 23 years, 1 month ago
I have a question, or a poll for all of you. I intend to start developing a FPS (or FPSA rather) in the near future. I haven't really been keeping tabs on FPS games lately, and the last time I played a good number of them, jumping in the game was rather sloppy (i.e. Turok). So, i was wondering, have any steps been taken to improve upon this? If so, what? What are your personal feelings on jumping in FPS titles? Thank you for your time. Peace out. MrMexTaco Edited by - SoLongMrMexTaco on August 16, 2001 2:18:33 AM
Peace out.MrMexTaco
I can''t say I''ve had any concerns about jumping in any recent FPS games. What do you mean by sloppy exactly?

And slightly off topic, one thing that has always bugged me about FPS games is the inability to climb up small ledges, ledges that are too high to jump onto. I know Thief did this, and I''m pretty sure some other recent games did too. Deus Ex maybe? I forget which ones. That''s definitely a feature more FPS games need to implement.
Advertisement
I play a ton of FPS games, but I haven't seen any real innovations other than Half-Life's "Long Jump" option where you crouch before jumping for extra distance.

I'd think that control and movement is something you have to tweak and tweak until it feels right.

It's not directly related to jumping, but Unreal's mechanism of automatically stopping you from walking over a cliff in walk mode is a must have

I'd like to see a "magnet jump" option, though: You optionally cancel momentum and stop moving once you land. Though it may be unrealistic, nothing is more irritating than having to make a huge jump only to slide off the edge. There's no point in including it, because the player will just die and reload anyway...

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...

Edited by - Wavinator on August 15, 2001 8:59:31 PM
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Air control, even though it
s unrealistic, is an easy way to make jumping less of a hassle. Both Unreal Tournament (especially in the low-g levels) and Q3A have a good deal of air control, and most platformers have air control anyway. I haven''t had much trouble with jumping in newer FPS, but I remember it being a problem in games like Turok and Quake.
Hey, thanks for replying guys, and hopefully i will get some more soon!

Dobbs - what i mean by sloppy jumpin was that in an FPS game, it''s not necessarily clear where you are going to land, which i know for me, at least, has cause some frustration every once in a while.

At any rate, i think i have an idea that will take care of it.
Peace out.MrMexTaco
Err... In your case, I think the problem is with you, not with the game... In Unreal Tournament, or Half-Life, or even DukeNukem for that matter, I know for certain where I am gonna land. I think it is called ''experience'' :p

After a few rocketjumps and gauss-jumps and your plain old normal jumps, it becomes way easier to know how far you can jump, and how to land correctly...

At least, that is my opinion.
Advertisement
Well, now, i openly admitted i haven't kept up with the genre. So all input is helpful to me. Is jumping still easy though, with Unreal or Half-life, when you're making a long jump to a platform only 2 feet wide by two feet long (relative game size)? Or is that a bit more difficult? And what about Jumping and shooting? Is it still easy to land where you want to if you're distracted by an enemy at the same time?

Basically i'm just trying to get as much information so i can implement my Jumping system properly. Oh and Ronin, this is called 'research.'

Thanks.

Peace out.

MrMexTaco

Edited by - SoLongMrMexTaco on August 16, 2001 2:14:28 PM
Peace out.MrMexTaco
It is once you get used to it... I was at a lan-party recently, and we played UT, with a few mutators... InstaGib and LowGravity.

Now, this means that *every* hit is a kill (with a hit-scanweapon :p), and that you can jump extremely high and far... The trick is to jump just past your oponent, turn around, kill him, and then make sure you do not overshoot the building and plummet towards your doom

Believe me, this will quickly teach you how to jump without paying attention!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement