🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Standing out - Is there really a "right" way?

Started by
24 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 12 months ago
Maybe it's mentioned already, but if you get a grade, that means you are able and have the will to do things, that you don't like. And you are disciplined, teamwork (mentioned).
Another thing: you will have lots of connections.

And another thing than applicants always forget. I don't know details about CS industry, but in engineering, it's not a rare to have 200-300 applicants to one position. I applied to a place once for one of the 5 positions: 50000 (fifty-thousand) applicants.
The least was 50 applicants for a position. And it was a small company, they don't have the possibilities to interview 50 people.

CV:s have to be filtered somehow. I guess in that particular situation (50000) 99% of the applications were tossed out randomly.
And if you haven't graduated, your CV will be tossed out. Maybe they wrote a program for that ("scannable CV/Resume") that looks for keywords.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by way2lazy2care
Quote: Original post by Tom SloperI wrote a column about resume-filtering. http://www.igda.org/games-game-march-2010

A link to not-your-website for advice?! D:

Ahhhahahaha

It IS Tom's article

ahhahahaha
Quote: Original post by szecs Maybe they wrote a program for that ("scannable CV/Resume") that looks for keywords.

pretty sure most major publishers/developers do this. I'm fairly sure that Microsoft and Activision do this (probably everyone who's released a successful AAA game).
Quote: Original post by zyrolasting
I've been pressured since I left the womb to get a degree with the "you need that piece of paper" lecture, but I'm also being told by more and more people that degrees do not matter if you are skilled. People with jobs I don't care about insist I get a degree, but people with jobs I like never even went to college.

I'm still learning, but firms always seem to want someone who can commit and contribute to the well being of the company. No matter what route is taken, I always seem to be pursuing the goal of being trustworthy in my chosen career. On one hand, I have been told that college is not "experience", and all I will get is documentation that says I can be trusted. I have also been informed (by a professor, no less) that practicing, networking, and advertising oneself is all that is necessary whether schooling is involved or not.

I want to clear away fog. Does it really matter how I "prove myself" as long as I do just that? Is the portfolio, resume and people skills where getting a job always comes down to, or is there some magic element that I am missing that only a formal education (or lack thereof) can provide?

It all seems to come down to kicking ass and taking names. [disturbed]

Well, it worked to get me into my current position as an entry level "SE" at a large game studio, though I do have some university experience and I made use of the co-op program at my university and my time there to network and build myself. I was also told you "need that piece of paper" but it isn't strictly true.

There is absolutely no way in which completing university could make your life worse, however, unless you do not make use of your degree. The smart and safe route is to finish school. My recommendation is hypocritical, but finish university.

Another point, lose the attitude, it won't help you. You came to these forums with a question and acting like a hot-shot and disregarding advice isn't cool.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
Quote: Another point, lose the attitude, it won't help you. You came to these forums with a question and acting like a hot-shot and disregarding advice isn't cool.

When I get an email telling me someone responded to this topic, I come back in hopes that someone else contributed something useful. You did, and thank you. But this whole "sit there and shut up" mentality being sent my way is something that I admit I have trouble entertaining.

I'm assuming this comment shows the attitude you're talking about.

Quote: That is way too open to interpretation, as is "life experience". What do you consider to be a developed person, and how does college contribute to their development? Only social skills come to mind here.

I apologize if I came off too harshly, but I don't want to defend myself for asking for clarification. Being told that college develops me as a person doesn't tell me much. The only thing I can think of that college gives you that other outlets do not is social maturity. The ability to function among others and get things done. I slapped them all together and called them "social skills", and I do not see why I am such an ass for doing so.

Again, I'm sorry Dan, Tom and M2tM. I am honestly trying to learn. May we please drop this?

[Edited by - zyrolasting on July 9, 2010 9:34:04 PM]
Quote: Original post by zyrolasting
Again, I'm sorry Dan, Tom and M2tM. I am honestly trying to learn. May we please drop this?

Done.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement