🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Getting into the industry.

Started by
42 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 12 months ago
If you have (proven) skills and experience...and can help get my game done on time and on budget then I'd hire you. If you had no degree, or a degree from Mars it wouldn't matter.
Advertisement
Quote: CV's aren't just words...they should be facts.

"Should" is a fundamental word there, people like to "over-emphasise" their skills sometimes.

Quote: I think that this viewpoint exists a lot more on these forums and much less so in the real world.

I'm going off what I was advised when I applied for uni, that was over 4 years ago so it could be that the viewpoint has changed (which happens quite often). I don't see how you can argue though that vanilla CS is not the safer option. At my uni you could do standard CS and still elect to do games specific modules.

I'm starting to feel like the TS' parent, trying to make his life choices for him :p.
Quote: Original post by ThinkTank
I think that this viewpoint exists a lot more on these forums and much less so in the real world. I, a graduate of Full Sail, was job searching 6 months back and was offered a job at both a bank and a large game studio, I opted for the game studio. I know this is just one example, but many of the guys I graduated with have decided to leave the game industry over the years and haven't had problems getting jobs at high profile non-game companies.

Was the person that interviewed you at the bank a somewhat younger? People that grew up playing games probably have less stigma to game schools. I've heard a lot of not to pleasant remarks about game schools from some of the old guard guys that don't even have a degree themselves.

Your friends have proven skills with released software and "years" of experience do it. Thats worth more then a degree.

Quote: Original post by stupid_programmer
Quote: Original post by ThinkTank
graduate of Full Sail... many of the guys I graduated with have decided to leave the game industry over the years and haven't had problems getting jobs at high profile non-game companies.

Was the person that interviewed you at the bank a somewhat younger? People that grew up playing games probably have less stigma to game schools. I've heard a lot of not to [sic] pleasant remarks about game schools from some of the old guard guys that don't even have a degree themselves.

Too many young people think that a degree handcuffs a person to a particular career. It does not. Most adults in most walks of life started out studying one thing, then went in another direction careerwise. And we don't go around closing doors to people with a particular degree.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement