Advertisement

Slightly off topic: Max Payne

Started by August 15, 2001 12:06 AM
9 comments, last by TheThief 23 years, 1 month ago
I just finished "Max Payne", and I must say, I''m pretty impressed! I was just wondering about your impressions. My feelings: Pros: * I LOVE BULLET-TIME!! Jumping out form a corner, and nailing somebody in the head with a machinegun was the best feeling! * The comic-book story style was amazing, looked much better than any FMV could have. * The M-79 is one THE coolest weapons ever. * How much time did the level designers spend on this game?? The amount of detail was just mind-boggling. * The drug/dream sequences were creepy and very atmospheric * All of the in-game scripted stuff looked really cool too Cons: * Story was kinda strange and shallow * Alfred Woden calls you in the weirdest places * At some point, the story completely shifted from being about his wife/baby to just killing as many people as possible while saying lots of eerie metaphors * I realize the game needs a fast system, but I have a dual PII 400 with a GeForce 2, and all of the details on medium, and the game still ran slow in some of the more detailed areas. * The music got a little repetative So, what do you think? TheThief
I think Max Payne is a great technological showcase that delivers outstanding gameplay, a combination of qualities that you rarely see outside the offices of id Software. Bullet-time was definitely cool, but it''s not the first game to use it, so I hardly think it''s worth calling revolutionary. There was a mod called "Lazy Matrix" that invoked bullet-time released long ago for Unreal Tournament. I still play it now and then.

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

Advertisement
I''d give Max Payne 10 extra points for being a Finnish game.

Press any key to continue or any other key to quit...
And just what is ''bullet-time'', for those of us as-yet uninitiated?
Basically bulletime is the effect as viewed from a person who can move faster than bullets.. way faster. Basically if you could move that fast, bullets would appear to move slowly to you, and thus you could avoid them, and people of course would appear to be completely still... ala easy target for your fast moving self.

I have not played Max Payne yet, so I dont know what context bullet-time is being used for..

For those who have played Max, is Max a fast moving dude, or is bullet-time just for effects for the player? From what it sounds like, it is not a replay, but is in "real time".. does Max have Neo like powers, or is the bullet-time effect for our benefit?

Game sounds cool.
"The time for honoring yourself will soon be at an end"
quote: Original post by TheEnderBean
For those who have played Max, is Max a fast moving dude, or is bullet-time just for effects for the player? From what it sounds like, it is not a replay, but is in "real time".. does Max have Neo like powers, or is the bullet-time effect for our benefit?

A Player can switch to Bullet-time anywhere in the game, if there is enough "sand" in the bullet-time-hourglass. And you get more this time if you kill enemies... or something like that. It also lowers the frequencies of shooting sounds and looks really cool in action!
Advertisement
Example of bullet-time use:

you''re standing near a corner where you''re almost sure there''s an enemy, so you push the bullet-time button, and your "move left" button. This combo causes Max to jump out from the corner in slo-mo, while he''s leaping(which takes about 10 secs) you see the enemy, so you aim, and fire at his head. Max comes out of bullet-time, and the dude''s head explodes.
Yum
Interesting. The game Revenant, where you''re an a##-kicking angel with a machine-gun, had this as a spell. You could slow enemies down, watch enemy fire streak past you, and evade enemies that moved as fast as creatures out of the movie Aliens.

(It was great early game, but unfortunately they gave it to you too much later and it ended up being a game ruining cheat)

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Then I''m guessing Max Payne succeeded where Revenant failed. Eventually, you start taking on enough enemies at once that they can shoot you from five directions, making it damn near impossible to dodge all those bullets.

TheThief''s explanation of bullet-time was not very good, so I''ll try to explain more clearly. You can invoke bullet-time in two ways: by turning it on (not so good) or by dodging (right-click, very cool). When this happens, time slows down. The realistic part is that you can''t move or fire any faster than you normally could in real-time, but this doesn''t really matter if you have two pistols. The unrealistic part is that you can turn as fast as you can in real-time, which means Max is spinning through the air super fast. Of course, it''s a good trade-off for what is easily the most enjoyable shooter in existence. Is the game multi-player, by the way?

I don''t know what the explanation is for bullet-time, but Max heals his wounds by slamming bottles of painkillers. *shrug* The coolest part of Max Payne was dodging sideways and sending one of your adversaries flying through the air with a well-placed shotgun blast to the chest. Man, I love that.

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement