🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

DirectX Book

Started by
1 comment, last by pfresh85 22 years, 10 months ago
Ok I''ve gotten through my first C++ book and my other book (C++ for Dummies and 3D Game Programming with C++). I understand the Dummies book (after I got the little explanation about pointers and all). The 3D Game Programming one is a bit advanced for me though (I tried reading it and got lost after the first 2 or 3 chapters). So I''m holding off on it. I''ve decided I want to try and program a simple 2D RPG instead of trying to skip to 3D programming. Problem is I don''t know a lot about programming with DirectX. So I was wondering what you guys would suggest bookwise for DirectX programming (2D gamewise if possible). I''m already trying to read through the whole Genesis series here on GameDev.Net but I''m slowly going through it and it''d be better to have a book to read. So any suggestions? Thanks for the help.
Advertisement
If you simply want to do 2d-directx-programming buy the book "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" by Andre La Mothe.
It has about 1000 pages and deals with every topic about 2d-programming (starting with an introductory to WinAPI, COM etc).
The only negative aspect is that it uses DirectX6 (the sdk is included on cd) but anyway i think it is the best book to start off (i have read it and it is great written and made for "beginners").
Bye
I think just about every one of us will recommend "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" by André LaMothe. It not only teaches DirectX, but also general game structure, gets you started with basic physics and artificial intelligence, and a whole lot of other things. In addition, the book comes with a CD which contains a ton of trial programs for cool software (like Paint Shop Pro and Cool Edit), plus royalty-free graphics and sound, the DirectX SDK (although it''s outdated, just get a newer one from Microsoft), a ton of examples, and bonus articles about topics not found in the book. The book covers a lot of stuff, and has everything you''d need to get started in game programming with DirectX.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement