🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Resume Feedback

Started by
2 comments, last by szecs 14 years ago
I would appreciate feedback on my resume. It's located here.
PhaZ Productions (under construction)
Advertisement
I'm a Purdue CGT alumnus myself [wink]

The big things that jump out at me about your resume -
* Your objective is four words. Short and to the point, sure, but it doesn't tell what you want. Entry level programmer doing what?
* Seeing as how you don't have any work experience in relation to programming, your education section needs fleshed out. You say that you have a focus on video game development, but don't list what you've learned / created in regards to videogame development. Also, don't list 'notable courses', list notable applications related to game development that you've made.
* Activities & Awards only has one game development related activity, so putting this as the second thing on your list doesn't make any sense.
* Technical Skills lists 'Graphical Languages', which aren't even languages. They're game development libraries. Don't list Windows XP and Windows Vista - you're filling space. Are you implying that you're comfortable using both Windows & Linux, or are you implying that you have experience / skills in actually developing for those platforms? In you have experience developing for/on both platforms then say so, otherwise leave this off.
* Reference Available Upon Request - Leave this off. Of course you have reference available (at least I'd hope so).

Hope that helps!
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Here's how I read it.

First glance: It has several common errors. I see nothing glaringly wrong. I also see no obvious "hire me" points.

It probably would fail the first pass through the pile because there will be better looking applicants.

Now looking closer...

Your headings are HUGE. I understand when you are starting out that you don't have a lot, but there are elements you can add beyond large font sizes. Shrink them.

Education is your biggest point. Seems correct, since you probably only have two years. This instantly makes me question if you are ready for entry level. Perhaps an intern position would be better. Can you actually work full time?

I know what "Computer Science" is, but a major of "Computer Graphics Technology" makes me think you are not quite right for a general programming job. Instead of listing your courses, list what you did about them that made them notable. "Advanced C Programming" could mean that you simply read about the C standard library. I don't know how "Electric & Magnetic Interactions" relates to game development. Tell me things you did and how they relate to your ability to make games or your ability to work with a development team.

Eagle Scout. Good achievement, but when applying for a game programming job it probably takes second place to the Game Developers United. I have no idea what Phi Sigma Kappa is, neither Wikipedia nor Google provide much useful information. I assume those are positions you held, but you don't say what you did or how it relates to game development. It looks like you were given four jobs last year, which implies to me that it is a small group that doesn't actually do much. I have no idea what a Taekwondo club has to do with game development, other than that you have a hobby.

Technical skills section is useless to employers, except as a way to exclude you. Show me what you did with each of those things, and then I'll decide how experienced and skilled you are. Listing Windows and Linux it not useful for a programmer. If you are able to program and attended college you are expected to understand both of them.

Do you have any work experience that relates to game development? If any of your jobs had transferable skills, add them.

Cut the "references available upon request". We know that. It is filler. CUT.

That leaves some extra space. Have you done any hobby games, or hobby game development work, or even fun little demos or projects? Add them, and add the web page where they are available.
OP: just a small thing. If you update your resume, would you please leave the old version available too (with a link of course)? For comparison, and for the responses to remain in context.

Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement