🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Work Experience with major games company.

Started by
11 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 11 months ago
My father recently did some legal work for a few high up guys at Rockstar North.
I have compulsary work experience coming up at my high school.
My ambition is to become a game designer or writer in the games industry.

God.. some things seem to just work out. :D

My question for you, the experienced masses of GDNet, is it worth my time going for work experience with RN? Even if I'm the teaboy, at least I will see what an actual game company looks like from the inside. It would look good on my CV when applying for future game based jobs. On the other hand if I for some reason aren't getting a job related to games then a more usual placement would be more benificial...

Your thoughts?
Advertisement
If you want a job in the games industry, then you shouldn't just take the job as the 'teaboy', but kick any other 'teaboy' potentials in their teabags and get that experience on your resume.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Basically, go for it and go for it with enthusiasm. And tea-based analogys.... Ok. Thanks for replying.
Just keep in mind, no matter how comfortable you get with your fellow employees; there is no appropriate time at the workplace to engage in tea-bagging...

That should be done by the tea companies who produce and package the tea. You'd probably just prepare it for people.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
If R* does work experience, that would definately be great! However, most companies I know of don't hire work experience people, partially because they're generally no good at keeping your secrets... perhaps being related to one of their lawyers would come in handy though ;)
Quote: Original post by M2tM
Just keep in mind, no matter how comfortable you get with your fellow employees; there is no appropriate time at the workplace to engage in tea-bagging...
I'm pretty sure that "lets make the avatars tea bag each other" was one of the first reactions to anyone getting their hands on Natal hardware ;)
Quote: Original post by JamesPenny
My question for you, the experienced masses of GDNet, is it worth my time going for work experience with RN?

I'm sorry but this question makes me want to slap you in the back of the head.
Quote: Original post by way2lazy2care
My question for you, the experienced masses of GDNet, is it worth my time going for work experience with RN?

I'm sorry but this question makes me want to slap you in the back of the head.

rotflmaool

Classic case of "dude, do you really have to ask this question?"

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: ...was one of the first reactions to anyone getting their hands on Natal hardware ;)

Confirmed.
I'm really sorry if I shatter your dreams a little bit, but I've got to say it's unlikely you'll get a weeks work experience at R*. You'd have a better chance applying for an internship position in a few years time as a university student, but even then you're likely to find it extremely difficult....

The problem is NDA's (non disclosure agreements). R* are *extremely* secretive about projects they have in development, and are very strict with whom they share information with. Everyone working there has to sign an NDA when they start work. This is legally binding agreement that you will not, under any circumstances, reveal any information about anything you have seen or heard whilst on site, to any third party.

Now comes the bad news. R* will want a stick to beat you with if you break the NDA. ie. the threat of losing your job, or the threat of legal action. Neither of those would be enough to deter you from telling every friend you know about the next R* game(s); since you wont have a full time job there, and it's questionable whether an NDA with a minor is actually legally binding. I imagine they'll simply say no, since the (perceived) risk is too great.... :(

By all means see what your dad can organise, but don't be disheartened if they turn you down....
My father recently did some legal work for a few high up guys at Rockstar North.
I have compulsary work experience coming up at my high school.
Off topic: The Royal High by any chance? (Royal High lad here [smile])

Quote: Original post by RobTheBloke
The problem is NDA's (non disclosure agreements). R* are *extremely* secretive about projects they have in development, and are very strict with whom they share information with. Everyone working there has to sign an NDA when they start work. This is legally binding agreement that you will not, under any circumstances, reveal any information about anything you have seen or heard whilst on site, to any third party.
QFT. I had to sign an NDA when I went there for an interview (Which I didn't get, bah) before they would let me out of reception...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement