🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How much is important to know low-level programming for a game/AI programmer?

Started by
2 comments, last by KulSeran 14 years, 1 month ago
I'm not interested in engine programming and I have not so much time to study gamedev subjects on my own because I need to get a bachelor in computer science asap.

I'm interested in game programming and AI programming because I like game design.

Last year i made my first game(a geometry wars clone) with xna and i learn a bit about gamedev, then I made a very simple game prototype with Unity engine (the concept of the game didn't work so i stop the project)

Now I have 2-3 ideas to develop but the summer is approaching so i have even less time to dedicate to gamedev.

I have a choice: to realise a simple tech demo with directx or Irrlicht engine.

Does a junior game programmer/AI need a deep knowledge of directx/opengl? or i can just use an engine and focus on the algorithms?

Advertisement
The more you know, the better.
Do not try to rush your education.
Have you ever heard of "The Tortoise and the Hare"?
Do not be the hare. Be the tortoise.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote: Original post by Tom Sloper
The more you know, the better.
Do not try to rush your education.
Have you ever heard of "The Tortoise and the Hare"?
Do not be the hare. Be the tortoise.

Thanks, I don't want to rush, but the university can't provide me any form of knowledge of gamedev, instead it give me a good knowledge of computer science.

After graduation it's difficult(or impossible?) getting into the game industry without a portfolio, specially in my country. So i prefer making my portfolio during these years rather than after the graduation.

I start with xna because it was at high level and I was a beginner, now i want a deep knowledge.

what should I do?i should use Directx first, with the possibility to waste time(because of the huge step betwenn xna and directx), or using an engine and then maybe work on directx?

It's important for me to learn while working on personal projects, so i can achieve something while learning and satisfy my creativity.
Quote:
Does a junior game programmer/AI need a deep knowledge of directx/opengl? or i can just use an engine and focus on the algorithms?
I start with xna because it was at high level and I was a beginner, now i want a deep knowledge.
It's important for me to learn while working on personal projects, so i can achieve something while learning and satisfy my creativity.

No one person on the team is going to be an expert in everything. It is really good to know a little about everything, so you don't make untrue assumptions about the other parts of the game.
If you don't want to be a graphics programmer, you don't have to learn as much graphics coding.

For a game/AI programmer, the best thing you can learn is how to write debugable code. Designers tend to have a science behind what they consider will make the game "fun". If your AI is doing something "stupid" or "too hard" or "not enough flair" then you have to be able to locate the problem and adjust your AI.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement