🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

America to Canada: ease of relocation

Started by
8 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years ago
Howdy all,

I am working on my decision grid to decide where/when/if I want to relocate and I was wondering if anyone could shed some insight on relocating from US to Canada. I'm looking more so for non-common knowledge things worth knowing.

Pretty much I want to know if it's worth it to even consider Canada right now as an option or if I should focus on the US.
Advertisement
Jumping ship already are we? You'll get your just rewards for this treasons act of mutinous villainy ...
O sorry went all RPGy on you for a second, so what prompts the move?
Quote: Original post by way2lazy2care
Howdy all,

I am working on my decision grid to decide where/when/if I want to relocate and I was wondering if anyone could shed some insight on relocating from US to Canada. I'm looking more so for non-common knowledge things worth knowing.

Pretty much I want to know if it's worth it to even consider Canada right now as an option or if I should focus on the US.

Canada is a very big country, which part of Canada are you looking at?
Quote: Original post by eedok
Quote: Original post by way2lazy2care
Howdy all,

Canada is a very big country, which part of Canada are you looking at?

I don't know yet. Right now I'm looking more into the feasibility of Canada at all. I don't want to plan to move then find out I can't legally work there for 6-12 months or more.

It's my understanding that Visas are relatively hard to come by in a lot of foreign countries, but I'm not sure if that holds for Canada or more specifically a US citizen moving to Canada.
A university degree would probably help a lot.
Quote: Original post by taby

Uhm, if there us a single thing that Canada is most famous for, it`s that it doesn`t acknowledge the diplomas other than its own. Including doctors, although human body is the same all around the world.

What that means in practice is that plenty people have burnt their life savings, threw away their careers at their best point (in their home country), only to find out, after obtaining a PR status, that their diploma is worth the paper it`s printed on. Leaving them with choices like washing dishes, sweeping streets. That`s European diplomas I`m talking about here...

What is the current waiting period for the visas/PR status in Canada ? Few years ago it rose to 18-24 months, but I`ve heard it`s less now.

LazyDude : Is It Van you`re eying perhaps ? Used to win the prize of "Best City to Live in" many years in a row - at least until the realty bubble inflated.

BTW, talking about housing - have the prices finally relaxed after being multiplied in recent years ?

Not sure if it still applies but even though the salaries are lower, programmers used to get a higher standard of living for the same job than in US.

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

You can find information about the application process for immigration to Canada here. I would suggest you do some research (Politics, Geography, Law etc.) about Canada before you decide to move here. Maybe even come for a visit first.
Quote: Original post by VladR
Quote: Original post by taby

Uhm, if there us a single thing that Canada is most famous for, it`s that it doesn`t acknowledge the diplomas other than its own. Including doctors, although human body is the same all around the world.

What that means in practice is that plenty people have burnt their life savings, threw away their careers at their best point (in their home country), only to find out, after obtaining a PR status, that their diploma is worth the paper it`s printed on. Leaving them with choices like washing dishes, sweeping streets. That`s European diplomas I`m talking about here...

Fortunately, not every degree holder is a doctor or a dam architect.

Surely you'd agree that the Canadian high tech industry hires graduates from MIT, etc. all the time (based on the degrees that they hold). The Perimeter Institute in Ontario hires many physics PhD degree holders from around the world -- including Stephen Hawking.

Anyway, I didn't go to university, and I already live in Canada. I was a network tech and programmer for like 15 years before switching careers. I pumped gas for like 9 months after high school. It's what you know, not the papers you have. Canada isn't evil, it's just capitalist.
Depends on your education and the position you're applying for...

If you are a working professional, you have a job offer in an accepted field, and you have a university degree, then a TN Visa might be an easy way to come to Canada and check it out. Note that a TN is a visa with non-immigration intent.

I'm from Canada, it's a great place, and in my opinion, the US and Canada have more things in common than differences.
Quote: Original post by loom_weaver
I'm from Canada, it's a great place, and in my opinion, the US and Canada have more things in common than differences.

I agree wholeheartedly. When I was a kid in Niagara Falls, I went to Canada often. Have been there a few times since moving to California too.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement