🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Has any1 tried making a 3d game with mouse aiming?

Started by
20 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 5 months ago
Yeah, let's see...
There's...
Quake...
Quake 2...
Duke Nukem 3D, I believe...
Descent, perhaps...
Any Quake engine game...
Perhaps you should have a look around their control menus. =)
Advertisement
And unreal

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Uhhhh, guys, I think he meant something to the effect of having a mouse pointer on the screen that you use to aim. So firing is more of a point and click type thing
I believe they had a control scheme similiar to what your talking about in the original System Shock (not in the sequel though). Personally, I found it annoying. I like the regular Quake one.

Just my 2 cents.

--TheGoop

a somewhat cynical response...

As I understand it, this would be different from Quake because the aiming would be independent from the navigation.

Now, I believe this would make the game much more difficult, because if you are tracking a monster with your mouse, and he runs off screen, then you have to follow him with the keys in addition to trying to track him with the mouse. Thus, you have to coordinate with both hands, whereas in Quake you only track with one hand.

Does this make sense?

Justin Martenstein

This type of control system was (and still in some ways is) being experimented on by me. It is in many ways far more realistic for first-person shooters, since in real life you can easily be running one direction and shooting in another. MechWarrior has a system like this, where you could move the crosshairs around the display to aim and shoot but still be walking in a different direction, but that's for slow, clunky mechs. I'm not quite sure how successful it would be in a fast-paced game like Quake 3 or Half-Life, but that's exactly why I am experimenting with it.

So, to answer the initial question, check out MechWarrior.

Good night, I'm too tired to be up on a message board posting.... zzzzzZZZZZZ

- Splat

I tried a demo of a game that had this type of control set up. I believe it was called Vigilence, but I may be wrong. I found that the countrols were very difficult to get use to. It was a real pain to be climbing stairs and looking around, I frequently fell since I wasn't watching where I was going and had to climb again.

It would probably be more acceptable if while holding down another key the mouse control was like Quake/Half-Life. That way you get the best of both worlds and doesn't piss people off that don't like the different controls.

I'm not convinced but I think there was a game called 'Cyclones' that did a similar thing. If I remember correctly it came out at the same sort of time as Quake.

Using the independent point/crosshair control is good and all but what would you use to control your rotation? I mean if you maintain the Quake/Doom/FPS etc. keyboard controls,[strafe L/R, move FWD/BWD], and your
mouse is doing its own thing (not rotating), how do you intend to have the user turn?
Is there going to be another pair of keys that would be bound for the turning???
(if that's the case, I wouldn't recommend
it since most users tend to like to control their own rate/speed of rotation). Basically, the turning input is digital (if you use the solution I suggested) (either start turning or not) and not analog-like (I only want to turn a little bit or I need to turn a lot/VERY fast etc. in which current mouse interface uses).

How did the game Cyclone, solve that problem?
The only way I think it would marginally work is if you had the rotation controlled by the mouse, where the player would turn when the cursor hits the border of the screen (either left or right). In otherwords it would work similar to the mouse interface for RTS games where you 'scroll' when you hit the border of the visible 'map' etc.
The drawback to this is the response time would probably be (relatively speaking) SLOW.

Well, whatever you decide to use, please let me know how it goes. I'm kind of curious how gameplay would be affected by this new 'factor'.

Good luck

Terra Nova used this type of system. The controls were not for the faint-hearted, but they were manageable, and would have been pretty darned good, had they been customizable...

The trick seems to lie,as has been noted, in keeping movement on an even keel, and not handicapping the player by slowing their ability to turn too much.

Anyway,

signing off,
mikey

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement