🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

2D Board Game! What to program in?

Started by
4 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 6 months ago
Using VB for a simple board game should be fine now that VB has hooks into DirectX. I started on a board game and found it to be as good as anything I could have done in C++ (and a lot quicker to develop ). I would say go with VB since that's what you're most familiar with.

[This message has been edited by Machaira (edited November 29, 1999).]

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Advertisement
I have to second the suggestion to use VB. I created a PBEM graphical gaming aid called V_MAP using VB. Even without DirectX, it still serves well as a generic 2D board game simulator. [MAinly used for wargames and RPGS.]
--
TAZ

Check out http://zircher.iwarp.com/v_map.html for more info.

A third vote for VB. :-) It's easy and certainly powerful enough for a board game. Plus, you can always leverage your VB skills to a more powerful language later.
I'm really not against VB in anyway, but why does everyone believe that VB is easier and faster to program a game in then C++?

I would think that the only part that would be faster would be the custom dialog boxes used in the game if it was in windowed mode.

It is true that VB and C++ both have advantages and disadvantages in certain areas so don't flame me telling me that VB rules, cause I never said it didn't. Just that the development times would, I believe, be about the same in either.

William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

I am trying to develop a 2D board game and have not been in the programming scene for quite some time now. This will be a side project to sort of get back into things; but I was unsure of the language I should use.

I am familiar most with Visual Basic, but not sure if this is the best language to use.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

treycoursey@hotmail.com

or post here thanks.

It's only easier and faster to write a full blown game depending on the knowledge you have of both languages. Developing a GUI/basic Windows app is much easier in VB because that's what it's mainly used for. One double-click and you have a window. VB also hides a lot of the code you have to write or have generated in C++ (WinMain, message loop). It's really a case of matching your tools with your knowledge and the project you are doing. In Trey's case, since he knows VB and is doing a board game (a fairly simple game) VB would probably be best for him. For most other games C++ is the way to go.

------------------
Breakaway Games

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement