🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Does this sound reasonable?

Started by
2 comments, last by tentaguasu 24 years, 6 months ago
Personally, I think it's way too low, cuz ur programmers and artists r doing all the grunt work. Furthermore, unless u really like ur team, u may wanna consider doing higher percentages for the team, but for a shorter time. It will get annoying splitting up checks after a while. Now, I've never done shareware, so I don't know what kind of figures to expect, but in my mind anything's better than nothing. That's just my $0.02
Write more poetry.http://www.Me-Zine.org
Advertisement
I think his percentage numbers work well enough. I might even suggest keeping 50% of the game owned by "the company" with the rest divided up among the participants according to their contribution.

50% retained by the company
25% to the programmer(s)
15% to the artist(s)
10% to the sound effects/music

Or, if the game is rather mundane from a programming perspective but has a lot of graphics, flip those percentages. It's doubtful that a shareware game is going to be too heavy-hitting on the sound effects angle. Maybe you could give some of the participants shares in the company itself (as opposed to just shares in the game).

I send out financial statements and checks every month to my 3 partners in the game Artifact.

Shareware is a viable business model, but it does take a bit of work to keep it all straight.

------------------
DavidRM
Samu Games

I'd really appreciate you comments, opinions, and answers to any of my questions.

I don't know anything about programming (well I did do basic on my C64 when I was 14 but that's it). I have a game idea.

Laughing yet?

OK, I'm NOT going to learn programming. I don't have the time. I know this is the Wrong Way to do it, but that's how I'm going to do it, because I have no other choice.

I've already assembled a tentative group of people to help me build the game.

The team is:

Me - oversight, design, quality control, boss.
C++ programmer
Graphic Designer
Internet Expert

No one is getting a dime up front. I'm offering a percentage of potential profits. I'm considering 40% for myself, and 20% each for the other 3.

The concept is SIMPLE, as is the programming. Think something a bit more complex than Tetris. No 3D shooter, no polygons, no AI.

I believe this makes it more feasible to do with a small team, and no venture capital whatsoever.

The idea is also very original. Really it is. It's not Tetris2 or Doom4. It's really something unique.

It could be successful or it could flop totally. Again, think tetris - if we do it right and it "catches" it could be really good. Maybe not.

I'm considering distributing it as shareware. It is going to be pretty small (under 5 megs) and ther e are obvious hooks that make it worthwhile to register.

I'm also in the good situation that I'm not expecting to make Mega Money. I want to make money, most definitely. But I don't expect to get rich. If the team as a whole made $50,000 I'd be thrilled beyond words. If it made $12,000 I'd be pleased as punch (again, team profits). I've got definite and important economic goals but they are, all things considered, considerably more modest than many….

I'm not 15. Nothing against 15 year olds, but I'm old enough to be beyond the "yo dude let's du a killer engine" stage.

OK, now down to some specific questions:

1. Does any of this sound vaguely reasonable?
2. Is shareware a legitimate option to make a profit on a product that is easily downloadable and has "hooks" that make registration worthwhile?
3. Are the profits I'm offering (20%) too high or too low? Remember, there is NOTHING up front and NO guarantees. This is a percentage of PROFIT not sale, regardless of whether we sell it to a distributor, sell via shareware or whatever.

I don't know, I'd just love some comments on all of this….

I think this sounds about right, though I'd offer this piece of advice:

Make sure everybody agrees, and have everybody sign contracts.

Make it clear that you're not doing contracts because you don't trust them; if you didn't trust them, you wouldn't be doing business with them. The contracts are just to make sure everybody's agreed.

If anyone has a problem with those profits, you can work something out.

And yes, this seems viable, and shareware is a good way to make money. Look at DOOM.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement