🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

University of Advancing Technology Computer Science Degree

Started by
3 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 7 months ago
Hi again, Is the University of Advancing Technology's Bachelor's degree in Computer Science any good? Is the university any good overall? Has anyone here attended or heard anything about the degree or the university? Link. Thanks
Advertisement
I attended UAT for about 2 years. I will say this: About half of the people who attend there are grossly incompetent, and you will unfortunately have to deal with these people on a regular basis. (However, the other half range from brilliant, to exceptional in their field). In addition, for financial matters, you are mostly left in the dark, as well as what classes you need to take and when you will graduate.

The dorms are a joke. You are required to live in them for your first year. Most things break on a regular basis, there are several holes in many of the rooms, and when we first moved into the dorms, we didn't have hot water for a good week and a half, and half of the place wasn't finished yet.

Internet was not available for a month, and the "camera" system that was supposedly installed was not working for several months, giving a false sense of security, and several thefts took place in the dorms, with no action taken to solve the problem.

On one occasion, during a fire safety check, a sprinkler accidentally exploded, and even though it was the school's fault completely they only reimbursed 3-500 of $3000 dollars in damage.

From what I understand the situation has changed, as there is a newer resident director, who is absolutely great at her job, a caring person, and she's also a great English teacher.

Only people living in the dorms may buy a parking pass, and park on campus. Otherwise you need to park across the street at Fry's Electronics.

HOWEVER, many of the teachers are more than competent in their fields. They know what they are talking about. Phil Miller is one of the best teachers they have, and I hope he is still there.

The school has a low retention rate, from my experience. I believe out of the several hundred people who came in with me, only about 25% are left as of this post.

Several people who have graduated from UAT have done well. Some have not.

They're desperately trying to rework their curriculum.

From personal experience I would not recommend UAT. However, college is different for each person. The above information is (mostly) my opinion. There are some serious problems with the school's administration. The faculty is well trained and competent.

It's your decision.
Quote: Original post by SAHChandler
I attended UAT for about 2 years. I will say this: About half of the people who attend there are grossly incompetent, and you will unfortunately have to deal with these people on a regular basis. (However, the other half range from brilliant, to exceptional in their field). In addition, for financial matters, you are mostly left in the dark, as well as what classes you need to take and when you will graduate.

What's with all the sevens; its like their lucky number. lol
Thanks for the input.

So do you think it would be better to just get a BS in Computer Science from (I'm in Colorado) something like University of Colorado at Boulder or University of Colorado at Colorado Springs?
Quote: Original post by Aiwendil
Thanks for the input.

So do you think it would be better to just get a BS in Computer Science from (I'm in Colorado) something like University of Colorado at Boulder or University of Colorado at Colorado Springs?

Which one works better for YOU?
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson25.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement