🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Am i Game Dev Material?

Started by
7 comments, last by zuriku 14 years, 8 months ago
I don't have a tablet, And my laptop cant run CS2 (photoshop) I'm practcally broke, and i need to know if im good enough to be hired as a 'character designer' yet http://monkeytv.deviantart.com/gallery/ Let me know what you think ):
Advertisement
hell yeah your good enough. better than good. your art is awesome. What you do is join a team and when they tell you what kind of artwork they need you use your imagination to come up with something that fits the style.

very good artwork you have. yes your definitely game dev material.
Very nice stuff! The only thing I would suggest would be to study some video game character concept art (it appears like you are interested in character design) and try making some more traditional concept art. A lot of what is in your gallery seems more...I don't really know how to express it...artistic? I know that is not the best way to say it, but what I mean is that concept art is drawn specifically to allow other artists (namely 3D modelers) to use your concepts for their art asset production. Some concept art is drawn to cement the concept, and some is experimental while the idea is still being fleshed out. These are your typical artistic drawings, and they can be from various angles; it seems like you have those no problem. But the concept drawings that are designed for other members of the team to work from are pretty specific in how they are handled. I am not a concept artist, so I can't really give any pointers on how these types of concept pieces are created. I only know some of the differences, and that both exist.

Good looking stuff, though!
I'd recommend checking out the ConceptArt.org forums, especially the "Artists looking for work" subforum to see what you are up against. Also have a look at the small freelance job postings, though I imagine they are highly competitive. Note that pretty much all business there is conducted privately, so for the most part you won't be able to see what happens.

Just keep expanding and improving your portfolio and submitting it to people looking for artists. You might take some unpaid work to diversify, or go for the contracts that ask for a free image of their choosing before making a decision, as I believe they get fewer responses.
Asking in an art forum would be a better place to ask I think.
...it's like a cycle with every other MMO post. The poster first posts it without a template the day he joins. Then a month later posts it again this time with the template but due to the feedback stated as "ANY" he gets flamed badly. Recovering from such an event takes a couple of weeks before he dares post again but this time he remembers to state the feedback as "ENCOURAGING ONLY" and then no one posts and the project dies away. Tired, the poster returns to the confines of his cave and I don't know what happens after that....
there appears to be a space of roughly a month between each submission.
this suggests that you do not produce a large volume of work. a good concept artist would likely be producing these sort of images daily.

my first view of your gallery was a piece on lined paper. this is bad practice for an artist. not good first impressions.

what I see here is potential.
for the beginnings of an artist, this looks promising.
at your current level, you may be able to work with a team making a quick basic game with zero budget. you would have to be pretty dedicated.

keep practising and get a lot of life drawing practice. draw people wherever you are, look around and just draw.
Moved to Breaking in.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Hired? No, not yet. But it's also clear that you have serious potential.

What's your age? Your work reminds me a bit of my high school buddy's when he was 16 or so. He ended up going to graphic design school after that, and he's become quite a talented artist. He wins competitions fairly regularly, and does some freelance work with a popular half-life 2 mod (that I believe is going commercial) on the side of his day-job.

You may well be talented enough to contribute to indie game projects of the type you'll find on these boards soliciting for help. I'd start there, as it will give you some idea of what it's like to work for a client -- find a team that has a clear artistic vision in place though, getting to be the vision is great and all, but working within some artistic constraints is usually where a lot of valuable growth occurs.

Asside from that, is some kind of (reputable) art or graphic design school an option for you? You seem to have the raw materials, now you just need some place to forge your skills even more.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Quote: Original post by tremault
there appears to be a space of roughly a month between each submission.
this suggests that you do not produce a large volume of work. a good concept artist would likely be producing these sort of images daily.

my first view of your gallery was a piece on lined paper. this is bad practice for an artist. not good first impressions.

what I see here is potential.
for the beginnings of an artist, this looks promising.
at your current level, you may be able to work with a team making a quick basic game with zero budget. you would have to be pretty dedicated.

keep practising and get a lot of life drawing practice. draw people wherever you are, look around and just draw.

I draw everyday, Its just that i don't have a scanner,Good digital cam or tablet There are a buttload of sketches and all of my ideas that are on paper all on my desk-

As for projects, I'm currently working on something pretty underground with a programmer. I've came up with about 95% of the game's concept and ideas that revolve around it- I had to come up with new leveling systems,Completely new friendly UserInterfaces and a s**t load of unique weapons,armor and to many things i couldn't explain in a night. This project for me is about 6-7 months in the making,I don't have plans to publish anything about it untill after xmas- (Or when we're ready)-

But that's why i didn't say anything about it- I just wanted to see what kind of responses i would get without people knowing :P

As for school, I'm in NEBRASKA- There is LITERALLY NO ART JOBS FOR ANYTHING (besides bleak/generic logo making), And even art schools- there is a arts institute about 150+ miles away from me- But i lived in cali before and moving back yada yada yada- So i do plan to go to school when i finish up the few classes i have out here.
(and i just turned 19 a week ago)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement