🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Computer Minimums

Started by
5 comments, last by stealthoni 22 years, 11 months ago
These are my comps specs: Is it good for programming (for now at least?) Duron 605mhz 128mb ram Stealth III Xtreme 32mb vram (should prob get a GeForce 2MX ~oni
Advertisement
Or-Course thats good for game programming. I have a 400mhz AMDK62 with 64megs of ram and no 3dacceleration that works perfectly good. Most of the games you will make within the next year will be 2d, 3d games are very hard to make.

X4J
X4J
Quick comment :

People were programming before 500+ MHz computers existed. So actually, any computer is good for programming. It all depends on WHAT you want to program. If you`re going for real-time 3D then a 286 is not a good computer to program with.

Just my two cents...

Blaster
www.blastersoft.com
www.strategyfirst.com
My GOD yes that comp will work, lol.

I use a:

366 mHZ Celeron
32 Meg RAM
ATI Rage IIC AGP

My games turn out ok.

Good luck

DracosX:

Master of the General Protection Fault
DracosX:Master of the General Protection Fault
FYI any computer speed that isn''t ''slow'' will be fine, however if you could splurge on 2 things, I would say RAM and Video Card, simply because RAM makes the world go round if you have ever used 3DSMax or Photoshop, and as for the Video Card... well... its just for Quake

CodeSmith the Pixel Pusher
www.cs.trinity.edu/~csmith8
CodeSmith the Pixel PusherCodeSmith Webpage
I program on my PII 300 MHz 64MB and 20GB
I also have this crappy old laptop that my sister in college gave me after she got a mac... its something like a 486 with a sticky keyboard so its almost impossible to type on it, 800 MB, 16MB, only it didn''t have enough memory for MSVC++ so i put DJGPP on it. I only use it when im to lazy to go upstairs to use my beloved PII
I have probably 1 or 2MB of VRAM, 64MB of RAM on my beloved PII that I was talking about in my other post. The thing is, I run Photoshop, trueSpace, Director, Flash, Illustrator, After Effects, InDesign, and LOTS of games on my computer (not quake though) , and I have no trouble. I''m thinking of Getting 3DSMAX4, so I can use it with shockwave or something (i havnt learned D3D yet)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement