🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Dark Basic

Started by
11 comments, last by Lords Bitch 22 years, 10 months ago
is this worth using? and if so where can i get some tutorials to really do something with it? i heard it can create some pretty good 3d games with ease, i just wanna play the field try things out before i go buying tons of books i wont know what to do with. thank you
--------------------=Lords Bitch=-"Don't Hate Me Cause You Ain't Me"
Advertisement
You will get replys to this that says DB sucks and all that jazz, but don''t listen. i have seen some awesome things done with this program that were very high amateur and perhaps commercial quality. For some great tutorial/code snippets check out www.darkforge.co.uk.
thank you so much, i will check out the site

i appreciate your help (prolly spelt that wrong oh well)
--------------------=Lords Bitch=-"Don't Hate Me Cause You Ain't Me"
DB is easy to learn and use, and produces some quality stuff. Only problems is it''s a bit buggy and a lot slow. Other than that it rocks.

Rottbott
hey rotty, didnt know you were on this forum too...anywho, yeah, im also a user of DB, and its really great. You can make very good games (or apps) in very little time. It has some bugs, but there have been lots of bug fixes lately. The main issue it seems is speed, but its really not too bad. Enjoy!
http://www.labino.net
Dark Basic sucks!
The graphic engine is a disaster, no shadow or anything.
But they have launched a compition on who who can do the best program with the 90-days trial witch will be included in the augusts number of PCGAMER. First prize is a travel for 2 to L.A and a 2 day pass to the E3! Read more on www.darkbasic.com. But you should try some other language instead.

Andreas B
Sweden
Project Leader at Viking Software.
DB doesnt suck! its just if you dont know how to use it. If you know what you are doing you can product commercial games. There have been a few games made in DB that have beeen published.
http://www.labino.net
Well as I someone said before, DB is good for make games, if you want to make games as a hobby. If you want to get into serious games programming then I sugguest you learn a language like C++. I have DB and VC++ 6, noway I am going to touch DB because I want to make games as a job.
What is Dark Basic? I mean, is it some sort of drag and drop application or what? Is it an actual language? Or is it one of those Rom hack utilities?
If they thought Mortal Kombat was bad wait'll they get a load a my creation.
Darkbasic is a Basic variant (exactly the reason why I DON'T like it...) with wrapper functions for directX, actually making it a bit easier to do common directX tasks.
see www.darbasic.com

Oh, I forgot to mention: It's not drag and drop at all, it's got an irritating editor (my mouse wheel doesn't even work), it's extremely slow on my machine (even opengl is faster, and i don't have an opengl card :-), unless you really love programming in qbasic you 'll probably like this...

Edited by - Tassadar on July 25, 2001 6:47:53 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement