🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Where now?

Started by
1 comment, last by Shmmeee 22 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I''m new to games development but not really to programming, anyway I know all the C++ basics and things like classes, inheritance, linked lists etc. What I wanted to know was what do I learn next? From looking at other posts and tutorials I''m thinking Direct X would that be the next logical step? Also, totally out of interest and not like I''m about to try but....how do you program for consoles? Is there a high level language or do you use assembler? I noticed there''s some kind of BASIC on my PS2 disk, (or something, I haven''t looked at it yet so if I''ve misunderstood then sorry) how does that work and where can I find out about how to use it? TIA for any help/pointers,
what''s got two legs and bleeds?Half a dog!
Advertisement
Move to DirectX most likely. You could do OpenGL first, but you''ll probably end up learning DirectX as well so you can use DirectInut and maybe DirectSound and DirectPlay. If you''d rather stay in the "Open(x)L" realm, you could also learn OpenAL and OpenIL, but you would probably be better off to learn DirectX because everything is grouped into one package.

As for consoles--probably a little bit of both. You could program for the PS1 in C++ but I think you needed to know a little assembler. I downloaded the GameBoy (not Advance) SDK and you had to know *a lot* of assembler. The GBA doesn''t need any ASM knowledge. And there was an article on GameDev a few weeks ago about programming for the Dreamcast with GNU development tools, so you might look there for a little more info.
--

WNDCLASSEX Reality;
Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;
RegisterClassEx(&Reality);

Unable to register Reality...what''s wrong?
---------
Dan Upton
Lead Designer
WolfHeart Software
WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza
Cheers matey! Much appreciated :-)
what''s got two legs and bleeds?Half a dog!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement