🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

OK forget DOS then, I need help with DIRECTX!

Started by
0 comments, last by arwez 24 years, 6 months ago
Ok, I have this compiler called Borland C++ 4.0. I know it's very old, but I am currently taking a c++ class, and I actually know how to use it. I need to know how to get Direct X working on this age old compiler. I need to know if I really need Direct X 7.0 SDK. I much rather get an older version which is SMALLER! And what about downloading just the library and headers?
Advertisement
If I remember correctly, Borland C++ 4.0 didn't output 32 bit binaries, which would make linking the Direct X libraries impossible.

As for Direct X, if you get an older version don't get anything older than 3.0. Direct X 2 was so screwed up you might as well have waited for the Direct X 7 download to finish, you'd be spending so much time ripping out your hair.

And yes theoretically you can just get the static libraries and the header files for Direct X without getting the whole SDK. That's how the Borland C++ Builder 3 and 4 ship their Direct X support.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement