🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Please give improvement suggestions

Started by
3 comments, last by SikCiv 23 years, 1 month ago
Please give me some suggestions on improving my platform game if you have some spare time. The latest ZeroOne D3D version 0.7G has been uploaded on the 2nd July. Download it at my site below (its about 5MB), thanks.

Game Download  ZeroOne Realm

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

Advertisement
Nice presentation, responsive controls, but what about the path for advancement? There was no indication of how to proceed to complete a level, and the game itself should tell you the storyline when you start up.

Also, the action is a little too frantic with no discernible method to it. Make the attacks come in better spaced waves, and allow for startegic positioning (staying under the platforms was good to avoid falling bombs). I''ll read up the story and play the game again and then add more opinions.

Good job!
Thanks for your response.

quote: Original post by Oluseyi
Nice presentation, responsive controls, but what about the path for advancement? There was no indication of how to proceed to complete a level, and the game itself should tell you the storyline when you start up.

My main objective at the moment is to get the players and other objects up to standard, then I will work on the actual level advancement itself. If you delete the 'demo' file, the game runs in normal mode displaying the title screen, options screen, and intro. Its set to demo mode at the moment mainly because if I add the graphics and tracks to the data file, the download will be over 20MB.

quote:
Also, the action is a little too frantic with no discernible method to it. Make the attacks come in better spaced waves, and allow for startegic positioning (staying under the platforms was good to avoid falling bombs). I'll read up the story and play the game again and then add more opinions.

Good job!

I know what you are saying, but its already been done a million times in every other platform game, i'm trying to create something original with alot of action through-out the whole level to keep the users constantly entertained, and this is all possible now with current CPU power. The CPU Player AI hasn't been properly implemented yet, at the moment they are controlled by a routine that randomly selects their actions making them throw bombs and balls all over the place resulting in havok, my ultimate goal is to give them intelligent AI involving enemy seeking, objective goals, and defence techniques.

Game Download  ZeroOne Realm

Edited by - SikCiv on July 1, 2001 10:55:21 PM

quote: Original post by SikCiv
Thanks for your response.

My pleasure.

quote: My main objective at the moment is to get the players and other objects up to standard, then I will work on the actual level advancement itself. If you delete the ''demo'' file, the game runs in normal mode displaying the title screen, options screen, and intro. Its set to demo mode at the moment mainly because if I add the graphics and tracks to the data file, the download will be over 20MB.

Actually, I was talking about the objective within the game. The intro screens were very decriptive in saying how to start the game ("Choose a level to start" or so). Once in the game, should I be going in a particular direction? Should I be looking for a particular object? What are all those bonuses, and what do they do? Stuff like that.

quote: I know what you are saying, but its already been done a million times in every other platform game, i''m trying to create something original with alot of action through-out the whole level to keep the users constantly entertained, and this is all possible now with current CPU power. The CPU Player AI hasn''t been properly implemented yet, at the moment they are controlled by a routine that randomly selects their actions making them throw bombs and balls all over the place resulting in havok, my ultimate goal is to give them intelligent AI involving enemy seeking, objective goals, and defence techniques.

Game pace is a balance issue. The game has bombs raining and enemies throwing more bombs, seeking me out relentlessly like T-1000s or something. Remember Contra for the NES? The action wasn''t this frantic, but there was action through out. It''s about making sure that as one challenge is cleared there''s a brief reward, and then another challenge.

Keep up the good work, though. The game shows promise.
The game has a long way to go, and the objectives haven''t been implemented, but anyway here are my thoughts on how it will be:

The main objectives:

* Find the other teams'' base (may be blocked of by doors).
* Retrieve the flag from the other teams'' base.
* Destroy the other teams'' base.
* Protect your own base from the other team.
* Destroy the other team players (extra points).
* Find bonus levels.
* Find the exit door.

The bonuses (items) are:

* Stars - collect all 100.
* Blue triangles - Extra energy.
* Light Blue thing - Full energy.
* Radioactive symbol - invlinsible crazy mode.
* Blue (I) symbol - Information (not impl.)

quote:
The game has bombs raining and enemies throwing more bombs..

I''ve gone overboard with the bombs, I know. I did this to test my level-object system for overflow problems and safe-guarding. So far I havent had any major problems with an excess number of objects. As for Contra (One of my favorite SNES titles), this is what inspired me in the beginning, I wanted to create something action packed with alot of explosions, whilst maintaining the quality and style of the Mario Bros and Donkey Kong series.

Thanks again for your comments

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement