🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

DirectX Start

Started by
4 comments, last by chaoticseed 22 years, 6 months ago
Before i start.. I went and looked down the forum to make sure my question hasn''t already been posted, and i didn''t see anyhting similar so this should be new. Bare with me Im a newbie, but im a newbie with heart!! hehe Anyways, I just downloaded SDK, I barely know anything about it. I''ve been programming for awhile, just not hardcore! like VB, a little C, html, java, but Im mostly considered a 3d animator by proffesion. Since that is over with, on with it already. Now where was I! I have SDK, I''ve just been looking at the samples, and already drooling with excitement. I''ve been trying to ---> Just for practice 1.)Somehow create an object in a 3d env. like LIGHTWAVE! and just be able to look at it in a directx window, nothing more. But, later i want to know how to move it around on a set path. Then Later, Be able to move it with the mouse or kybd (Some type of user input) Do ya understand what im doing, just starting off slow and working my way up! I forgot to mention, I have VisualBasic, are there any sites that easily and lightly explains directx and visualbasic, not all complex? I think thats all i wanted to know for now, im sure theres a lot more i need to know but that should do it for now! thx alot chaoticseed
Advertisement
Ok, i work with directx and visual basic, try read the newsgroup from microsoft public.directx.vb (here found some good links).

For start, work with the tutorial (in the directory from directx). Think drawing first a triangle, the move the triangle, then add more triangle.. and now you have a object!.

you can download 3d exploration (shareware) to export from ligthwave to .x format.
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
quote:
I forgot to mention, I have VisualBasic, are there any sites that easily and lightly explains directx and visualbasic, not all complex?

There''s a series of articles here on Gamedev dealing with using DirectX with Visual Basic. However, just for the record, I don''t believe VB is the best way to go...just my opinion tho, and I''m sure somebody will dispute it.
--

WNDCLASSEX Reality;
Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;
RegisterClassEx(&Reality);

Unable to register Reality...what''s wrong?
---------
Dan Upton
Lead Designer
WolfHeart Software
WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza
Whats a good c package thats free, and whats with all the single files ya have to download for DJGPP?

I actually found a site that explained the usage of video modes in visual basic, i seemed to understand that fine, im still a little shaky though answer me this?

Are objects the devices, like directdraw,direct3d,directinput,directsound, etc..
dim objdx as directx7?

thx

chaoticseed
Sometimes , you mustn''t look to programming with Direct3D or ( DDraw) from "The 3D Animator" perspective .
for your last Q .
Every component has it''s unique way of calling
e.g
dim d3dobj as LPDIRECT3D8
dim d3ddevice as LPDIRECT3DDEVICE8
read the SDK docs .
http://uae-arts.host.sk
Hey!

Vb and DirectX www.vbexplorer.com/directx4vb
By Jack Hoxley

Wonderful site!

If one person would write a book on DirectX in VB, I would make them a rich man!
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement