🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Four Elements VII

Started by
34 comments, last by Dark Adept 15 years ago
Well it would hardly be winning if no one else entered ;)
Advertisement
This is true. Has the reputation of 4E on gamedev suffered that badly?
Depending what the four elements are, I might try to get another entry in this year. It's only been... 7 years since I last got an entry in (although, to my credit I did have a reasonably fleshed out design doc for the previous contest. I just never got around to creating the game because I was a full time student and thought that I was too busy to do so).
Quote: Original post by lonewolff
This is true. Has the reputation of 4E on gamedev suffered that badly?

Perhaps yes. Then again perhaps not.

If there's a thing I don't like in contests, then that's not keeping the promises. A year and a half elapsed from the end date of last 4E. At first, they said they'll be getting a lot of sponsors for prizes. Then, they said they'll at least get some Amazon vouchers or books. Then, they said there'll be GDNet+ membership. And in the end, there is nothing. Actually, there should be the membership but it is simply not.

However, I also liked the 4E contest because it gave me ideas for developing games (by forcing me to use the four elements) and with a deadline, it made me actually finish a game.

And so, I will compete in the 4E7 (if it arrives) on condition that GD manages the judging in a ...er... short period (within two months, say).

So, lonewolff, your win is not yet guaranteed.

Just to clarify- I didn't mean it in that way (even though it might be true in that sense)- I was just responding to the trash talk that's all. I hope the comment doesn't discourage the hosts to run the competition, I really enjoy the 4 elements competition :)
Yeah, it would be good.

I would like to have a crack at it. Although, I dont think I could honestly win :)
Quote: Original post by GMuser
Just to clarify- I didn't mean it in that way (even though it might be true in that sense)- I was just responding to the trash talk that's all. I hope the comment doesn't discourage the hosts to run the competition, I really enjoy the 4 elements competition :)

I enjoy starting the 4 element contests. :) Still working on finishing one.
Hi there,
sun is shining, birds are singing. Its the best time of the year to sit in front of a computer I would say. Somehow, I'm looking forward to 4E7. Even if its similar to - XYZ says: Hey - make a game, you have 6 months time and will be judged by people you don't know. The winner gets a price... probably...
I just "finished" the Intel Level Up 2009 entry with respect to the experience from 4E6. Minimum amount of content (it's a sidescroller), minimum amount of models and textures (everything is created from cubes, only two textures and they are created in runtime), no story, only a few sound effects. And I can tell you, the development phase was so very boring, I have no fun to even look at the results now.
Let's do 4E7, Gamedev! I know you are busy with lots of other things and time is running and very expensive, you all do this in your free time and so on and so on, yadda yadda blah balh. But I give a sh*t on it. I need a deadline, some others who are participating, some feedback and some people who say, that my entry is the buggiest stuff they've ever seen.
My skin is getting dark and I think there is a potbelly, when I look down...
So get off your butts and launch the contest!
Well if they don't hurry up. I'll have to launch a contest from my own site.
If you guys are up for it :)
Looks like this contest is never going to happen. So, I have taken it into my own hands! Hahaha!

We, over at the win32developer.com community have decided to set ourselves a challenge. We are in the process of creating a 3D world which will be networked on-line. It is ambitious, yes. But we have some very talented members.

So, if you are at all interested in a community effort, you are more than welcome to join. No doubt there will be challenges and pitfalls but that is what it is all about.

If you are interested here is a link directly to the discussion.

Win32Developer Community Challenge

See you guys there! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement