Advertisement

Group rules in MMORPG

Started by June 16, 2001 11:25 PM
1 comment, last by KalvinB 23 years, 3 months ago
What special rules should a group have access to? Knowing who''s logged in, private messages, ect? Is it important to have groups? Social connections will still be necessary to complete missions, but I''m thinking in terms of no special buddy list. Ben The Rabbithole
In my opinion it is important to have groups or guilds in MMORPG in order to improve interactivity between human players. Us humans play MMORPG for the challenge and the experience of interactivity.

Concerning what you said about the contacting options I think it is always better to have a meeting point rather than sending private messages in a very long distance with the other players (in my opinion that is not a part of the game but a client feature).

In my designs I have implemented a way of messaging that IS part of the game and also keeps the game more interesting. Guilds have meeting points and cities specialy there for those guilds. Even new cities can be made by very high rank players who have the ability to do so and start a Guild. It all depends on how you make things fit.

Dark Era: Concealed Evil.
The next generation of online gaming.

By Drakonix Studios
Mecha Engineer (Making Real Humanoid Suits)
Advertisement
I agree. Leave instant communication out unless it fits into the game world somehow. Ultima Online had communication crystals but they were hardly ever used. Almost everyone used ICQ to stay in contact with guild members.

In-game communication devices like the communication crystal should also be useful in more ways than just sending messages. I remember we linked two crystals together and turned them on so anything said near one would come out the other. We planted one of them in a crate in a rival guild's house and went back to our pub where we overheard all their plans for a counter-attack against us (I was roleplaying a pirate in one of the biggest if not only pirate guild in UO at the time). It was great..they came in and we were all hidden with poisoned weapons and explosion potions ready.

So I guess the moral of this story is even though instant communication may be easier if built into the client or something like ICQ an in-game device opens up many more possibilities.

(edited to change crystal balls to communication crystals)

Edited by - Mumboi on June 17, 2001 2:42:10 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement