🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4E...] should the community stand up?

Started by
42 comments, last by Funkymunky 15 years, 7 months ago
Quote: Original post by Thaumaturge
Isn't Superpig working on at least part of the next version of the site?

Whether it's good or bad that he has both that and the Four Elements contest on his plate, that would seem to be the case now. Given this, it doesn't seem to me to be unreasonable for him to have prioritised the site itself over the contest. On top of that, I'm not convinced that bothering him is likely to yield positive results. For one, it seems to me that, if it does prompt him to produce contest scores, they might not have the depth that they might have had if left until he has less work waiting to be done. For another, the main result that I see is adding stress to however much Superpig already has. I imagine that it's not unlikely that he has already seen or been made aware of the posts already made in this sub-forum, in any case.

I can understand, I believe, that the lack of scoring is frustrating, but might it not be better to continue waiting in this particular case?
If it is the case that working on the next site version causes the delays, then this is understandable I guess. But the least one could do is leave a message: "sorry guys, very busy with next website version, you'll have to be patient". This even isn't the case and 6 months of waiting without hearing what happened to the judging isn't fun I guess.
Advertisement
The results are up.

I hope the feedback is useful. Big thanks to Gaiiden for handling the lion's share of the work.

I will be getting in touch shortly with all the developers to arrange a little something for everybody who took part (and qualified). Hopefully it will make them smile.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Yay! I qualified!

I'm already looking forward to next one. I'll actually have some free time to do it within, too.

Congratulations to the winners.
"It is not enough to merely faces one's fears. One must run screaming toward them,"
Good to hear that the results are up now!

Now I am curious if 4E7 will be organized and how it will be organized. I am still convinced that it should at least be organized with some proper deadlines for finishing judgings. A well organized contest can convince the community to work on such a long term project again, which means more entries and higher quality entries. This will eventually bring sponsors back too I think.
To be clear, it's not that sponsors were turning us down. It's that we failed to actually talk to anybody to the extent that prizes were organised.

4E7 will happen next year.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Finally! Thanks!
I am extremely grateful for the posting of the results. I only wonder, is there somewhere a detailed judging for each individual entry? Something like the blue tables with percentage and feedback in 4e5? For that would be much appreciated and I simply can't find it.

It's good the Four Elements contest will be back next year - hopefully better organised.
Quote: Original post by superpig
The results are up.

I hope the feedback is useful. Big thanks to Gaiiden for handling the lion's share of the work.

I will be getting in touch shortly with all the developers to arrange a little something for everybody who took part (and qualified). Hopefully it will make them smile.

Awesome news!
I've checked the forums nearly every day since April for the results.... it became part of my morning ritual. but THANKS for finally judging these (to all who pitched in)!

And I need to ask.... no comments on how the scoring came about?
Oops, forgot to turn on half of the results display. One sec.

Edit: ok, they're up now

Awesome news. Congratulations to everyone who entered and double for the winners and "bests!".

Next year, I'll try doing the cross-platform sponsor thing again.

... and actually getting a qualifying entry too. :)

So, for scheduling, got an idea of when it will start? Just curious since I usually plan out the major projects at the beginning of the year (writing and programming contests and elements overlap a lot I noticed) and blocking out the time would make life a bit easier.
Thanks for getting the results done superpig! Congrats to all who entered and looking forward to 4E7.

Also, thanks to Avatar God for the unofficial judging. It was fun to read the well thought out comments.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement