🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Indie Games site Banner Exchange

Started by
17 comments, last by cliffski 23 years ago
A few of us (in another thread) have been toying with the idea of a banner excahnge system for Indie games websites. We now have a system set up and we are in the process of collecting members, their URLS and their banners. We are planning on all members showing one banner on their site, within the first 600 pixels of their main page, with the banners standard size (468 by 60). I think its sensible to have a 20k limit on the banner size. What we want are websites that: a) Are good quality, look professional, no script errors or spelling mistakes b) Are from a proper domain, not a geocities site or similar c) Have actual finished games, either downloadable from that site or with links to download sites, complete with screenshots d) Have good quality games, shareware,freeware or normal retail, not ''first-attempt'' space invaders or Tetris clones. I know that banner ads arent exactly going to transform everyones sales, but personally I feel they stop your site looking like a ''dead-end'' if you have links to similar sites. Please only post here if your site meets the above criteria, no sense in telling us your game "will be finished in six months". Thanks http://www.positech.co.uk
Advertisement
i tried clicking on the banner link on
your site and got an error 404..Page Cannot be found.
it was looking for script9999.html

other than that your site does meet your own criteria...

I don''t think he was asking if his own site met the criteria, but thanks anyway.

~WarDekar
~WarDekar
long time, cliff.

keep me in mind for the banner exchange thing. once i can find an artist, i''ll have my game out pronto.

dave

--
david@neonstar.net
neonstar entertainment
--david@neonstar.netneonstar entertainment
Is there a sample page with a banner?

--
bernie
www.bkgames.com
There isn''t really a site with a demo banner or anything, but it''s juts a normal sized banner. Go to cliff''s site (http://www.positech.co.uk) and you''ll see a banner, it''ll be that size with random rotations and all that, with monthly stats on views/click-throughs too. Just so you know I''m the one with the server hosting the script, not just some random guy telling you about it .

~WarDekar
~WarDekar
Cliffski I think you are a bit ignorant and arrogant. When I said to you in the other thread that I would post a link to your site you didn''t even thank me but instead insult me by basically saying my site isn''t up to your standards. Now whilst I only have one pretty crappy chess program for sale at the moment, I also have another project which has been released which has more hits then your entire site and its only been up since December. Not only that but my next game which will be of considerable quality is coming out next month.
Now you can act all high and mighty about YOUR standards but I think that the people that need the most help in regard to hits are the sites just starting out that don''t have much recognition. They must look somewhat promising though as I''m not saying I personally will be linking to every game developers site under the sun, but there are a few sites which don''t look all too good but have some good projects and low hits. I think I would rather link to someone who only gets 10 hits per day but is kind, then someone like yourself who seems to be worried more about himself then others.
-Jason Starr-

---------------
Freeze Software
---------------
---------------Freeze Software---------------
Well, well. You have to see that cliffsky - as far as I know - is trying or needs to live from what he gets from his games. I think most others - including me - are doing it as a hobby, although I try to get the most money possible out of it too.

While far away from wanting to say my game is one of the best, it is one of the few actually making money ONLINE and without any publisher. This means I have done something right and puts me in a position that I can choose between different options.

What I wanted originally was a personal banner exchange with cliffsky and some others I e-mailed. Whether I join this banner rotation depends on the people and their websites.

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

Jester, what game is this you are talking about? Details, url, etc . I think the best way you can guarentee making money from selling games online is actually making the game extremely fun. Word of mouth for good games is great, one example of this is that Bridge Builder game. That guy could have made money just from that version he gave to the public and the amount of websites set up by fans for it is amazing. Just my 2 cents .
-Jason Starr-

---------------
Freeze Software
---------------
Errr, i just realized who you were, sorry. Smugglers is the game.
-Jason Starr-

---------------
Freeze Software
---------------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement