🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

D3DIM Managed Textures/Diamond Monster Fusion problem

Started by
2 comments, last by NightShade 24 years, 7 months ago
Well I think I just fixed it, kind of. If I do this:
SetRenderState(D3DRENDERSTATE_ALPHABLENDENABLE, false);
SetRenderState(D3DRENDERSTATE_ALPHATESTENABLE, false);
(i.e., turn off alpha blending and alpha transparency) It works on the fusion card. Thats fine and great, but does anybody know why these textures (which had NO alpha pixels) were apparently implicitly having an alpha value of zero?
-ns
-ns-
Advertisement
Since alpha was enabled, it likely had 0 as the default.

Now, you can have texture alpha, which you didn't have, but then also, you can make the triangles themselves transparent. Since alpha was enabled, and you may or may not have used D3DRGBA or D3DRGB, I'd say that you used the later, which may, combined with the alpha state, mean that it renders transparent polygons, with a 0 alpha value, thus, no polygons.

If alpha is enabled, you have to have an alpha texture, and specify the triangles alpha values (Well you don't have to, but it's better overall)

I'm having a problem with textures on a Diamond Monster Fusion card. I'm using automatic texture management. The problem is that non-alpha (either 5,5,5 or 5,6,5, I can't remember which, but I enumerate them and use the one it returns with) textures are not being drawn at all. I load all textures in manually, using the pixelformat structure and a FILE *. The two weird things are that the same code works fine on my Matrox G400, and that textures that have alpha components (either 4,4,4,4 or the one-bit alpha format) DO work on the monster fusion card. I am not getting any error codes, the textures just don't get drawn (or maybe get drawn transparent?)
Has anyone had a similar problem?
Thanks for reading
-ns
-ns-
Yeah! Thats exactly it! I forgot to set the alpha value of the color components of the material, making the polygons transparent. Dunno why this worked on the G400, but it works on both now. Thanks for the replies!
-ns

[This message has been edited by NightShade (edited November 02, 1999).]

-ns-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement