Advertisement

Why RPGs?

Started by May 11, 2001 04:55 AM
43 comments, last by Scouser In Exile 23 years, 3 months ago
I have a quick question: Why is it that most of the people who post to this site are designing RPGs? RPGs, even the good ones, do not sell anywhere as well as FPS, sports games, racing titles and RTS''s. Is it just the fact there''s more of a story in an RPG, or is it because it''s easier to do something ''different''? I''m not having a go at RPGs, I have a design for one myself, I''m just curious.
...just because PRSs is more easy to design then the other...
============================= Hey,I just wanna know WHY! =============================
Advertisement
GODDAMN IT! MKV can we please see if there can be a permanent link to any of the past 5000000000000000000 posts on WHY THE F*** we like RPGs so much????!!!! I can''t stand another one of these damn questions.... AAaaaarrrrggghhhh!!!!

*dwarfsofts head exploads.... It regenerates within a few seconds*

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - The future of RPGs Thanks to all the goblins in the GDCorner niche
I''d like to know, because, frankly, I''m sick of reading about nothing but RPG''s. There are so many more game genres than fighting goblins and demons.
Yeah and most of them are boring and repetitive, at least RPG''s can give an involving story.
I think I might know the real reason there are so many RPG games here.
From what I have seen, the more hardcore gamers tend to play RPGs alot. Or possibly I''m backwards and it''s that RPG players tend to be hardcore gamers... but either way, I''ve noticed that there seems to be many more hardcore gamers involved in playing RPGs than other games. And that make sense if you think about it. Would you expect a casual gamer to spend a many hours on a game, especially with a lot of dialog? Probably not.
I probably look of topic right now, but, would you consider those who deside to start designing their own games hardcore gamers, or casual gamers? If you said casual you should be smacked.
And people tend to make the type of games they play.

That''s just my two cents worth. And then another $1.50...

Drakonite
Shoot Pixels Not People
Advertisement
I''ve been a big fan of RPG''s for a long time. In fact, an RPG is probablly the most likely game I would buy. Simply because of the length of time it takes to play.

I don''t know how many FPS, RTS, and other arcade games I have bought that I only play for a few days, get bored, and trade it in. At least with most RPG''s, I can be sure I''m going to get a few weeks, if not a few month''s worth of game play.

I also love having a great story in a game and RPG''s are a good medium for a story. Although Wing Commander 3 had the best story I have ever seen in a game.

Anyways, my goal is to eventually write my own RPG. I don''t know if it will ever pan out or not, but it''s something I aim for.

borngamer
I''m not sure... probably because RPGs'' style are the easiest to be biased against. There''s little one can disagree with FPSs or RTSs or puzzle games (all the same really )... if the game has the main elements (run ''n'' gun, build technology trees and units to crush your opponents, or hard mazes/word games/find-the-key-put-in-the-lock) then there''s little to dispute.

RPGs on the other hand are a little different. Should they be interactive movies? Should there be a party of people? Should you have stats? Some view RPGs as Square Soft bastardizations of RTSs and want to create something better (like myself); others want ''reality'' games (a la most of the people who post here).

I agree with the main point of your post; however, I doubt you''ll find very much in the way of anything *but* RPGs posted in here. On the other hand, if they were to split this forum into two (one for RPGs and another for anything else) I''m afraid the anything-else forum would become defunct... hence why there is still just the one forum.

MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.org

As I am writing my own RPG right now, i can give you a somewhat good reason as to why many people choose to do so.

1) RPGs involve nearly every field of computer science, so they are very challenging to make, and thus represent proficiency in many fields. Ex: RPGs contain music, sound fx, graphics(2d or 3d), complex storyline, seperate game systems (ie. battle, subscreen, overworld, town) and integrating all this take effort.

2) RPGs are fun for lots of people to play. RPGs can give the player a chance to do things the way THEY want to do it. FPS don''t generally involve a lot more than shooting things and blowing stuff up (maybe a switch or two somewhere). While RPGs can fall into this habit, they are based on a much more strategic idea of a game, involving thinking through a problem or puzzle generally, instead of blasting right through.

3) RPGs give the programmer/designer a chance to be more creative than many other types of games. In FPS, you get to design enemies and weapons, in puzzle games you get to design problems to get around, in an RPG, you get to do all that plus write complex storyline, believable NPCs, town, dungeons, basically an entire world. That kind of creativity is fun to release and shape into something tangible.

4) RPGs generally involve MUCH more replay value than other games. Ex: Crono Trigger on the Super Nintendo had 5+ endings, depending on where you beat the game, plus a "New Game+" system to make it possible to play the game until your character''s were maxed out. When you went through on New Game+, you didn''t have to worry about "working up" your characters, but you could concentrate on the storyline.

Those are only SOME of the reasons people write RPGs. You don''t have to write one for yourself, or help anyone doing an RPG, but don''t tell us we should be doing something else, because we''re doing what we love to do, which is all anyone should hope to do.
< /RANT >

-Hyren

"Back to the code mines... ka-chink... ka-chink..."
"Back to the code mines... ka-chink... ka-chink..."Tachyon Digital - Down for the summer, be back in the fall.
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

I''d like to know, because, frankly, I''m sick of reading about nothing but RPG''s. There are so many more game genres than fighting goblins and demons.

Nobody''s forcing you to read anything you know. If you don''t like reading about RPGs, don''t read the threads. Most of us here happen to like discussing RPGs.
If you want to discuss non-RPG topics, then bloody well start threads that aren''t about RPGs!

Any more pointless whining will be dealt with accordingly.
(By the way, I''m not attacking you, Scouser in Exile, you made it clear you were just curious... it''s the Anonymous Cowards that are annoying me. )

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Mad Keith the V.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement