🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

NEWBIE NEED HELP !!!!

Started by
4 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 8 months ago
I've never had any problems using 24 bit images on a 16 bis surface, just make sure you are using the Win32 API function calls to load the image into the surfaces DC, and it will do all the conversion for you. Also I would make sure that your video card, and monitor supports the mode. It shouldn't matter what program you use to save the bmp.
Advertisement
Are you clearing out the primary surface (or back, if you are flipping) before writing your image to it? That may be the cause of it.
Hmm i agree useing the windows to do the conversion is nice,but if you want to load from datafiles i think your gonna have to do the converting yourself. Which isnt to much trouble really. As far as the problem gos,are you clearing the screen,using a backbuffer and clearing it,or what? Nothing else post a link to where i can download the source and artwork to see if it happens on my card.
Have you ever programmed in Windows before, using DirectX?

Anyways, do you even know the file format of Bitmaps?

if you write your own bitmap loader, you can easily convert 8.bit to 16-bit.

okay usa,

Hello !!! How are you ???
Well, my problem is:
I'm starting to program DirectX 6.1 and VC++ 6. I tried to put the screen in 640x480x16 and put some images like an animation. I load the imgs from a BMP file created by Photoshop 4.1 and the sprts are +/- 10x100 pixels great but when a did all the code and run, the screen appears with a distortion on the bottom of screen but the imgs loaded and displayed well. To correct the problem I turned the mode to 8 bits and put the img in 256 colors. It worked. But I want to put in 16 bits and I don't know what to do to correct the problem. Should I use another file format ??? Or use an conversor to the BMP file ??? (Photoshop saves only 24 bits I think) or I need to use programmation ???
Thanks...
I had a problem similar with having to use 256 colors to solve the problem. Are you by any chance using the "Windows Game Programming for Dummies" code? If so, that only supports 8 bit (256) colors. That might be your problem.
Greg FieldsSyntasoft Gameswww.syntasoft.comPost-Time Horse Racing (Available Now)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement