🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

DX and VC++ 1.0 Compatibility

Started by
2 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 8 months ago
Nope, pretty sure its not compatible (VC 1.0 is 16bit, right?). Luckily you can pick up VC++ 6 Standard Edition for only $100. Actually, I was get it for $50 after a rebate . Alternatively you could download DJGPP, but thats DOS only as far as I know, so theres no way you could use DirectX with that.

My recomendation is just to buy VC++6. It's a good investment and you wont regret it later.

--TheGoop

Advertisement
I think I'm going to try to scrape up some funds and get the academic versions of VC++ 6.0 because I am a college student. Is there any difference between the academic version and a retail version? also, should I get the standard, profession, or enterprise edition?
Does anyone know if DirectX 7.0 and Visual C++ 1.0 are compatible? if not DX7, any DX version compatible with VC++ 1.0? Its the only windows compiler I have and it came with the book.
If you're going to go for the student version, go ahead and get the Professional version. It's 99 dollars, and I don't think they offer either of the other two anyway

There is a limitation on the academic copy though: You aren't allowed to sell(or is it distribute?) anything you build with it. So it's good for practicing and learning, but if you want to make some money from you're work, you'll need to buy the full version.

I don't know what the difference between Enterprise and Academic are, but I do know that Standard does not have an optimizing compiler. Which means slow code I upgraded from VC 4 to VC 6 Enterprise and the same old stuff went a good deal faster, which was nice because I don't know enough assembly to do that myself yet

Enough of my babble, good luck

Jonathan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement