🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Download.com question

Started by
1 comment, last by urusei9 23 years, 1 month ago
I have a question about the big site: About the download counter, does he increase even when someone downloads the same application many times, or does he keeps our IP in memory and only increase when a "different" visitor is downloading? I mean, I know that the reviews section is moderated, meaning that once you reviewd an application, you can''t do it again to prevent an author to boost his application with great reviews. It keeps the IP in a file and when the site detects that the IP already voted, you''re not allowed to continue. BUT WHAT ABOUT THE DOWNLOAD counter? Is it the same? Is someone download the same application 10 times, will the counter increase by 10? Or just 1? Thanks Ataru San
Advertisement
The download counter has no controls at all, it will count it 10 times. But the funny thing is that the counter for the reviews, that''s the Yes/No and a number from 1 to 5 in 4 areas is weakly protected, when you vote without writing a review it remembers your IP only for A FEW MINUTES, anyway a lot of people have dynamic IPs, the other method is placing a cookie in your computer, using Internet Explorer the cookie is at C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\ and the name of the file is
*******@submit[*].txt<br>List the files in that folder showing details and sort the files according to the date and time, when you vote that file will appear and it will have the current time, erase it every time you vote and that''s all, to vote again just wait or it you have dynamic IPs just reconnect and vote.<br>
Hehehe you''d have to be pretty sad (and desperate) to be bothered doing this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement