🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

D3d IM texture swapping vs sorting... which is faster?

Started by
0 comments, last by Mithrandir 24 years, 9 months ago
Okay, i've been told that there is a lot of overhead if d3d has to switch the texture for every polygon, so it would be better to pre-sort the poly's by texture.

unfortunately, this is not possible in my case, because the poly's that i draw are different each frame, so the only sorting i could do is per-frame sorting.

Im wondering if this would be better than texture switching?

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Advertisement
One thing to remember is that when you are using partially transparent surfaces you'll have to sort your drawing so that they are drawn last anyway. Otherwise whenever an alpha blended polygon is drawn before a polygon that is directly behind it, the occluded polygon will never be drawn even though it would normally be seen.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement