Advertisement

Roleplaying Game Design

Started by April 24, 2001 12:53 PM
5 comments, last by FunkySammichDude 23 years, 4 months ago
Hello all. I''m a fledgling game designer and I''d like your input on how to design a great CRPG... I''d like to know what you look for in an RPG. Thank you all for your input.
Personally, I have something I call the ''Wouldja Principle''....
when you design a game, you gotta ask yourself "Would you play it?"...enough said.

Heh....how I *do* love spoonfeeding n00bs answers to their "I''m making a game, how do I do it?" questions....

-Ryan "Run_The_Shadows"
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
"Doubt Everything. Find your own light." -Dying words of Gautama
Advertisement
Well, I''m not a master designer or anything but I can tell you what I enjoy in a good role-playing game.

1) First and foremost is story, I like a game that will keep me hooked and coming back hour after hour because I honestly want to find out what happens. Get the players emotionally involved with the characters. I''m not talking about anything perverted mind you, I mean put them in situations that will garner sympathy.

2) Personally when I start a new game I like the feeling that I''m the underdog. When I feel like the underdog and I gain that first level it feels like a real acomplishment. The trick is to get the player to feel that sense of wonder and acomplishment as often as possible without making it get too repetative.

There''s probably more floating around in my head but I''m drawing a blank now. These two things shouldnt make a game complicated to make, but it means that the design on a game should be well thought out. This is good because as you said you are new at this. The best advice I can give you on the story of the game is to write the story out like you would a novel(short if possible). That way when you read if it seems like something you''d respond to thten you try to break it up into the smaller chunks and put it into your design documents.

The second part just requires some thinking as far as requirements for levels, exp system and such like that. Again I don''t think it would make the game too complicated. Well those are some of my thoughts, I''ll add more if I think of something. Hope it helps, if anyone disagrees with any of this I''d like to hear your opinion. Word Up and Peace Out.
Read my challenge on the top of this page, originality these days is appreciated, hone your skills by participating

How can you have the Helmet of the Dragon without going through the Palace of Darkness?
Here are the reasons that George Bush must drill in Alaska and Vermont:

1) Wildlife population getting out of control
2) Must keep oil tycoons employed
3) Must not let hippies gain power

10101010101010101001010101011- If you can read this you don''''t need a de-compiler
10101010101010101001010101011- If you can read this you don''t need a de-compiler
Advertisement
quote: Original post by MadKowV
3) Must not let hippies gain power

Um, how do you factor that one into it?

Virtual Worldlets, the home of online worlds
Virtual Worldlets.net, the re-designed, re-built, and re-launched,
rapidly expanding home of online, persistent worlds

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement