🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

2D Graphics and Sprites in Win98? (Newbie)

Started by
1 comment, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 7 months ago
Check out the DirectX SDK. There is built in functionality for resolution changing and scaling. If you need a sample post a reply and I can e-mail or post something.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Advertisement
Hi everyone,

I want to be able to load a 2D graphic of SVGA quality as a background and then move other sprites (with the same quality) over this background. ( similar to the PanzerGeneral or Heroes of Might and Magic format )

I already have seen this done with DOS console type applications, and compiled and tested such programs. I was just wondering if there are any good books that might explain a similar concept BUT, be able to do the above at various screen resolutions.

I have done some small graphical things with MS Visual C++ like a TicTacToe program that has resizable graphics, however this has only been possible using the built in drawing functions provided with the compiler.

I seem to have lost my way with being able to find information on scaling (sp?) backgrounds and sprites.

Thank you for your consideration.

Thanks!

I just picked up a copy of "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus".

The book ships with a copy of the DirectX SDK and other goodies as well

Looks promising.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement