🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Tile based game using D3D, what's best way?

Started by
0 comments, last by Spiff 24 years, 8 months ago
I'm trying to create a Direct3D engine wich will be quite basic, just drawing textured planes and some alpha and lighting f/x, since I think DDraw is a bit too limited.

Now, to the question. Do I draw alot of planes with different textures or use DDraw to blit the tiles to a texture surface and use as the texture on one plane?
What's easiest and fastest?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel Netz

============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
Advertisement
Funny, I had the exact same thought today (Really, im not kidding!). I'm guessing though, that the many little polygons approach is the only one which would work. Why? Because many graphics cards are fussy about the texture sizes. They usually want textures to be square and sizes which are powers of 2 (ex: 512x512 or 256x256). There are also a lot of size restrictions (I think most cards only support up to 512x512 textures, but don't quote me on that).

Also, the many polygons approach is also easier to use IMHO.

--TheGoop

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement