🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

3dsmax models

Started by
2 comments, last by Psycho 24 years, 9 months ago
.ase : It's easy to read, but it could happen that you're missing some information, so for something more advanced, don't use this.

.max : This file format is undocumented and changes from version to version. It even changes with the plugins used, so forget it for games, because there's too much overhead and you get no information about it.

.3ds : It's relatively easy to read this file, it's well documented and won't change anymore. If you're looking for a source, have a look at www.wotsit.org a source is included in a filespec.

own exporter : The best way would be writing an exporter using Max SDK for your own needs. For example if you use a bones system, you can easily save this in your own file format, while you'd get big problems with other file formats.

CU

------------------
Skullpture Entertainment

Graphix Coding @Skullpture Entertainmenthttp://www.skullpture.de
Advertisement
Heya,

First of all thanks for replying. I went to the site and downloaded information about the 3ds format and i sort of figured out the way a file is built up. I still have some questions about that though. For instance, if i exported a human body to 3ds, how would i animate .. lets say.. his knee for instance so i can make the still model move?
Or should i deal with this totally different?

Thanks again ;-)

Jeffrey

------------------
-- I'll be back, fear me.

Heya,

I've been playing around with 3dsmax for a while now and now i'm planning to use the models i've created in a game. I just wonder how to do that ;-) What format would be best to export to and how to access and read that format? Should I just call and manipulate each vertex and give the new position or should i do it differently?

I'm using MSVC++ 6 and so far i've used libcon to code with, however, if necesary i'll use raw opengl/d3d whatsoever.

Thanks for any information.

Jeffrey

------------------

The best way handling this would be using skeletal animations, but this is hard to get work. You will need your own exporter. I didn't work with .3ds that much, but there should be a flag for the next animation frame somewhere in the file. It should be explained in the filespecs, but I'm not sure.

CU

------------------
Skullpture Entertainment

Graphix Coding @Skullpture Entertainmenthttp://www.skullpture.de

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement