🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

"Death" of local games?

Started by
3 comments, last by tatarintsev 23 years, 3 months ago
hi, folks! My opinion is local games must die in future. It''s going time for Web-oriented games. Or no? It''s true for small games (for example small Java games http://gameserver.tomsk.ru/english/).
Vitaly V. Tatarintsev
Advertisement
I don''t think that will happen anytime soon. UT and Q3 have long enough load times as it is; I can''t imagine having to download everything .

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Yeah, web-games will become more popular, but there''s still a place for console games. RPG''s online are quite a different experience from RPG''s offline, for now...

Charles Galyon
Charles GalyonPresidentNeoPong Software, Inc.
I think "Local" games are going to be here to stay. If you look at the age groups of game players, the only people who have the time to spend hours online playing are the young un-married group.

I''ll be 30 this summer and I have been playing games since the Atari 2600 days. When I was in high-school and college, I could sit and play a game for up to 10 hours in a sitting. Now, I am lucky if I get to play for an hour every other night.

I''m still into games that take time to play (e.g. Baldur''s Gate), but I just can''t invest the time anymore. I don''t think I''ll ever stop playing games, but I sure don''t have the time to get into any serious online gaming.

borngamer
The only games that I like to play that are not on my desktop are MUDS...and even those are too slow...

If I had to dl a game from the web each time I wanted to play it...I would NEVER play it...

waiting can kill programs...not just games...I think in every book that I''ve read on how to speed things up is a section that says if you can''t speed things up...make it look like you are (ie splash screen).

Games are just getting bigger and bigger...and the idea that I would have to dl anything each time to use it makes me cringe. I love online updates...I think that is great...and any game should implement some sort of checking for updates via internet.

I''m sure it may come to that...when communcations get fast enough...but until then...give me a cd/dvd.

Jenison
''Things are more like they are now then they ever were before'' - Truman

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement