🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

test my game please

Started by
13 comments, last by djsteffey 23 years, 3 months ago
I need people to test my demo to see how it runs on other peoples computers. It is a very early demo of a space shooter using DX8 Graphics an dInput. There is a readme file with it to explain the other stuff......SMALL DOWNLOAD, like 150 kb. Reply a message here and tell me some system specs and FPS. And what you think so far. Go to this link to download it. give me some responses please "I pity the fool, thug, or soul who tries to take over the world, then goes home crying to his momma." - Mr. T
Advertisement
hey couldnt get the game to run at all... error

Logfile created successfully
WinMain: creating the timer
============================================================
Running mainEngineStartup
mainEngineStartup: creating direct3d object
***Error*** mainEngineStartup: main3D.create: Create 3D device
Running mainEngineShutdown
mainEngineShutdown completed successfully
Same as above.

------------------
It''s me again!
quote: Original post by tcurbo

hey couldnt get the game to run at all... error

Logfile created successfully
WinMain: creating the timer
Running mainEngineStartup
mainEngineStartup: creating direct3d object
***Error*** mainEngineStartup: main3D.create: Create 3D device
Running mainEngineShutdown
mainEngineShutdown completed successfully

Just wondering:
A: Do you have a 3d accelerator?
B: Do you have DirectX 8?
You will need both.
- Steven Richards - AKA HTML_Dude
My specs:

PIII-450
384Mb RAM
Riva TNT2 Ultra 32Mb
Windows Me
DirectX 8

..and as I said, I too get the error.

------------------
It''s me again!
YES

I do have direct X8 and a 3d accelartor and I tested both and downloaded the program again.. and still same error...

allright, I iwll look into it. I guess I am creating a 3D Device with something your video card doesnt support. I will let you know when I have it fixed. It might just be something that my video card does support and your guys doesnt. Be back soon.

"I pity the fool, thug, or soul who tries to take over the world, then goes home crying to his momma."
- Mr. T
allright I just looked over the code to create the device
this is what I suspect the problem is
  hr = mainD3D->CreateDevice(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, hwnd, D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING, &d3dpp, &main3DDevice);  

I am calling for hardware vertex processing. Maybe not eeveryone can do this. I will switch it to use hardware, then if it fails, I will try to create it with software.
I also create the device with D3DDEVYPE_HAL. I am not going to use REF b/c everyone knows that thing is slow as junk anyway and would be unplayable.
I''ll post one more message when I upload the fix.

"I pity the fool, thug, or soul who tries to take over the world, then goes home crying to his momma."
- Mr. T
Ok I put the fix up. It will attempt to create the device with hardware vertex processing and if fails tries to create with software vertex processing. I also changed it to go fullscreen at 800x600x16 as this resolution should be supported on all video cards.

Go to this link to download it.

If this doesnt take care of it then please bear with me......this is exactly why I want to test with other people computers.

- Mr. T
just one more note.......this is actually highly UNoptimized. So dont expect super framerates. Optimization is something I do when I have more of it together.

- Mr. T

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement