Advertisement

Multiplayer competitive questing

Started by March 29, 2001 04:58 PM
1 comment, last by Wavinator 23 years, 5 months ago
RPG, 32 players, coop & competitive quests... Just looking for comments... MMORPGs might already do this, not sure... Usually in an single player cRPGs you talk to NPCs, use skills, buy stuff, sometimes trade, etc. Often you''re solving quests. What if you were playing, in character, as part of a party that had to use combat and non-combat skills against an opposing party to solve quests. Example: If the quest was to guard the King, rescue the Princess, and kill the Evil Wizard Foozle, you could either compete the solve the quest first, or work on opposite sides (Kill the king, keep the Princess, and save the Evil Wizard Foozle) It wouldn''t be straight deathmatch, though. You''d need to get NPCs on your side; make skill checks for clues on your enemy''s moves; use stealth, etc., etc What makes me think this idea might not work, though, is that I think most RPG player''s don''t like time limits. But with other players playing against you would automatically impose time limits... -------------------- Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
So, each party would be given the same quest. Then each one would choose whether they wanted to oppose the other team or try and finish the quest. Is that the basic idea?

Perhaps, most RPG players don''t like time limits, but I like them personally.

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
What a plight we who try to make a story-based game have...writers of conventional media have words, we have but binary numbers
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Advertisement
Thinking that when the game starts, each side could choose a quest, or as you play and talk to people, you could choose a quest then... although, if you did it then you might be behind. If players want to compete and they end up working for the same side, then they''d be trying to sabotage each other in order to finish the quest first.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement