🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Graphic Cards with 5-5-5 16bpp Mode ???

Started by
7 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 6 months ago
I don't get the idea why you would want a 5-5-5 videocard. If you want to write code especially written for a 5-5-5 videocard, then that shouldn't be too hard.

For DirectX you can just use BitMasking to check whether it is a 5-6-5 or a 5-5-5 card.

And also for normal DIB sections this is possible with GetDeviceCaps() and EnumDisplaySettings().

If this is only about checking whether your code really works on a 5-5-5 video card, then I'm afraid I cannot help you.

------------------
Dance with me......

Advertisement
The code is a custom alpha-blitting routine and it matters which format the video card uses. So I need one of each type so that I can test the code.

John

An S3 Virge PCI is 5-5-5.
William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

Virge's have 555 and 565 modes if I recall. I know my Matrox Millenium 2 had 555 mode as well. As does an old Diamond Stealth something or another I have stuck in a Cyrix 166.

- Remnant- (Steve Schmitt)
I think mine 3Dlabs Permedia2V (OEM) is 5-5-5
"after many years of singularity, i'm still searching on the event horizon"
Riva 128's.
My S3 Virge only reports 555. But it could be my bad programming (or the directx team)
William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

I am looking for a graphics card that uses the 5-5-5 format in 16bpp mode.
I have a 5-6-5 card and my code runs perfectly on it but users with a 5-5-5
card have problems. Can anyone suggest a card to me? I just need this card
for testing so ideally I would like it not to be too expensive.

Thanks for your help,
John

When I use VESA I can call both 5-5-5 and 6-5-5 videomodes. This is on my S3 virge PCI (4MB). Does DirectX handle this differently?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement